Used 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

It's big, it's long, and you're gonna love it.
By Jim

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The double cab gives this truck a very long wheelbase which is great for ride comfort, but bad for turning radius. Also, it makes the truck heavy, so fuel economy takes a bit of a hit. Probably between 16 and 17 MPG on average. Some of the radio controls became "wonky" or uncooperative with age. If you're the "do-it-yourself" type, some standard maintenance tasks are pretty simple on this truck. I replaced the serpentine belt in about 15 minutes having never done one before, and I also replaced the front brake pads and rotors in an afternoon. (I tried to get the rotors turned, but they just needed to be replaced, so that ate up some time.) For auto-mechanic ability, I'm probably about a 5, but these jobs were easier than I expected.

2006 Tundra XSP
By miller1624

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new. It now has 87K miles on it and it has never had anything done but oil service. Very dependable and sharp truck. My only compliant is it gets poor fuel mileage and the turning radius is terrible. Bottom line it looks great and never breaks down.

Great looks very reliable.

turning radius

Best Truck Ever
By Matt

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a Ford, and a Chevy truck this Tundra by far is the best I have owned. Mine has the bench with the fold down arm rest and I love it. I fit six pretty big guys in there with no problem. I have pulled trailers that weighed close to 6500 lbs and it felt like nothing was back there...The truck is rated kind of low for towing but I think it can handle most loads...I actually average about 19.2 mpg overall and thats a 6 month avg. Low maintenance Great overall truck...We are Toyota Family and would recommend this truck to anyone looking for one. I am ready for my next one in about 20 years.........

Mpg, Reliability, the whole truck is great

For me I cant think of anything....I like bench seats though some say its not all that comfy and I can see that as I get older......

I'm happy I looked and waited...
By lvitch

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great Truck! Down sides: Needs better lumbar support, Big turning radius (I'm used to my old pathfinder), windshield scratches easily. I love this truck more every time I drive it. Plenty of power, I don't even know my 19' bass boat is back there. Highway passing is effortless. Gets the same mileage whether I'm towing or not (18 mpg). Plenty of room for me and my family (I'm 6'1 and my kids are huge). Hands down the best I looked at and drove, period.

The roll down rear window is awesome (the ford guys are so jealous). The cup holders will hold full size Gatorade bottles (6 cup holders too). Plenty of power points. Can you say 4.7 liter dual overhead cam hemi? Eat your heart out dodge.

Better lumbar support in the seats. Bigger transmission cooler (just in case).

Love My truck
By DHoward96

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love the truck more and more everyday. I bought it 7/31/06. I was a Chevy man to the core, traded a 00 Silverado ext. cab to get this truck. I have used it to tow everything from my 24 ft. pontoon to my 25 ft. camper. I tested 06 Silverado and Ram crew cabs, they didn't compare to this truck overall. Had a bigger bed than the 06 Silverado and interior is just as comfortable. All the Dodge had going for it was that gas-sucking hemi. Toyota in my opinion had it beat everywhere else. If Toyota ever produces a diesel, I will never drive anything else. That is the only way you will ever get decent fuel mileage towing a camper. Great looking truck too. Large truck fuel economy though.

X-SP 2 package with stock 18 in. rims, looks, power, handling, comfort for 5 185-225 lb. adults.

13-15 mpg city, 17-19 mpg highway, 9 10 mpg towing camper, 5 acres required to do a u-turn. About same as Silverado was though so.... and besides full-size truck and great mpg have never gone in the same sentence.