2005 Toyota Tundra Consumer Review: After 5,000 miles with my 2005

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Review

After 5,000 miles with my 2005 Tundra...
By rjw5150 on

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the truck used in July 2008 and have been pleasantly surprised at the comfort and performance so far. When buying used, I highly recommend a Toyota off-lease vehicle given that it is easier to see its maintenance history. I didn't buy an extended warranty because I expect Toyota to be built well and durable. So far that is the case and my Tundra drives well, the double cab exceeds my expectations on space and room, the engine provides adequate power for our homeowner and daily driver uses such as hauling lumber, furniture, and the occasional load of dirt or rocks. Everything appears to be functioning as designed. We'll see how well the truck performs as I rack up the miles.

The 4.7 liter V-8 is smooth and has good power. The suspension and ride are smooth and handling is great for a bigger truck. The dash gauges and steering column controls are easily visible and accessible. Fit and finish on the interior appears good. The cab is quiet even at higher speeds.

Paint a little thin given a few paint chips on the hood; tire pressure warning light is on with factory-required pressure in tires; occasional squeaking from the front suspension and an occasional rattle from glove box door; fuel economy less than posted; engine may be little undersized for crew cab.