Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

LOVE MY TUNDRA!
By E. J. LEAGUE

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had ford and chevy but the tundra is the quietest, smoothest ride for a pickup truck i have ever experienced. The power is impressive, and I have extras like sunroof, navigation, heated seats, which just add to the enjoyment. Best of all, this truck looks good!

Rear window that rolls down completely! Allows for the best ventilation you can imagine!

Could use more leg room in the back seats. Need a mute button for the radio and it would be great if it was on the steering wheel. Add a turn indicator light in the outside rearview mirrors. It is a great feature for those around and beside you who may not see the rear or forward blinkers.

'05 Tundra DC
By jmk

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love the truck. I compared Chev, Ford and Nissan 1/2 ton 4 full door trucks. The Toy has the largest bed by far and plenty of room for the family. Excellent ride and great gas mileage over the 2500 HD I traded in. Stereo is very good, visibility is good and the major controls are easy to reach. Hauls a full load of gear for four in the back plus towing a boat (3000 lbs). Passengers comment on the car- like ride.

Rear auto window. Smooth ride. Improved power. Longest bed in 1/2 ton 4 dr trucks.

I would prefer to have real steel bumpers instead of the plastic claded ones. Something that sticks out instead of molded to the body. Center console could be higher and squared off to go with and suppliment the arm rests. I would like overrides for intr/extr lights and cntrls like my old Chev had.

lower ball joint failure
By chuck fabian

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have been an owner and was a very happy Toyota customer for over 9 years. My current experience with the front wheel of my 2004 Toyota Tundra falling off, has made me a very dissatisfied customer. Toyota had issued a recall for a lower ball joint problem including some 2004 Tundra trucks. I was told by Toyota that my truck was not covered by this recall. They have refused to pay for damages. I would like to issue a warning to Tundra owner CHECK YOUR BALL JOINT AS MINE FAILED WITHOUT WARNING. IF you have had to have your ball joints change please contact the national highway safety board.

Comfort, Looks

Toyota needs to change the front end design. The lower ball joints are a non- serviceable part that should not fail causing the wheel to come off.

Nice Truck
By Great Truck

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I sold my 8 yr. old Ford F150 extended cab. Wow, the Toyota is awesome in comparison. I did look at the new Ford and Nissan. I ended up choosing Toyota based on overall value and feel I made the right choice for my usage needs. Pulls my boat as though I didn't know it was there, takes me down the hunting roads and through snow and mud without a problem. Plenty of room for my family and dog. Very comfortable ride and nice handling truck. I recommend it hands down!

Crew cab comfort, center console, radio controls on steering wheel.

arm rest on chair and arm rest on door don't seem even, sometimes feel a bit lopsided when both elbows are resting.

Tundra double_cab is a standout
By Rich

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just put 1500 miles on a Tundra Limited double-cab in Colorado and Wyoming--pavement and rough back road driving. This is a very good truck. Smooth powertrain, quiet ride, refined chassis and suspension. Got 19-20 mpg on the highway driving the 65-75 mph speed limits (this is on a green engine). Seats front and rear are very comfortable. I like the leather better than I thought I would. The bed is long enough to sleep in, unique for double-cabs with a non-eight foot bed. Not a single reliability issue with anything. This truck runs more quietly than my 95 Saab 9000. Ground clearance under this truck is best in class at 12+ inches.

(1) Smooth, quiet powertrain (2) Bed long eqnough to sleep in (3) 12+ inches of ground clearance (4) Excellent seating comfort (5) Better than expected gas mileage (6) Power down rear window (7) Five speed transmission with o/d (8)

(1) color selections are too limited (2) cruise control setup causes too much shifting on highways (3) no power seat for right passenger (4) low beam illumination is weird (5) I waited and waited for a hybrid (6) instruments and controls could be more readable and more logical