Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

YoYo
By tundraman

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

First Toyota that I've owned following a long line of chevys and fords. This truck is WAY better than any other I have ever owned in fit and finish, ride, reliability, and over all quality. With 325 lb ft of torque and 282 HP this baby shines!

Favorite Features

Four overhead cams and 32 valves with VVTI!

Suggested Improvements

NONE! Best truck I've ever owned. The new ones roll out in Feb and I hope they are as good as the one I have. If so, I'll be getting a new one!

Best full-size truck ever!!!!
By Dave

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Words can not convey how much I love my Tundra. It is by far the best full- size pickup on the road today. Sure it can't two a house but that's not a requirement of mine. For my use, it's perfect. Extremely comfortable, gets good mpg for a truck (avg 16.5 in city/hwy mix) and seats 5-6 very comfortably. It's absolutely the best. I test drove every full-size truck on the market and the Tundra bested them all when you look at everything you're getting.

Favorite Features

Everything. Sliding rear window, size, comfort, rear audio system, sound system

Suggested Improvements

Auto-locking doors, back-up sensor

Tundra Double Cab 4WD
By Garry Moore

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great running truck. First time I bought a "foreign" truck as I have been a FORD man since the 70's. Ford decided they didnt want to deal on their vehicles so I purchased a Tundra. Was looking at the Titan as well but since it was the first year i decided to pass. Thus far I am glad i did. Performance is excellent. Some ergonomic locations are not perfect such as window controls and windshield wiper location. Seems I always turn on the wipers when i turn right due to the location Excellent sound system as well. THANKS TOYOTA!

Favorite Features

SUNROOF...I love the idea of the open top. Excellent JVC sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the Wiper switch and the Power window buttons to behind the grab bar on the door.

Exactly what I expected
By nicetrk

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

sweet truck, no problems, and I have driven it 21,500 miles in 11 months! I not only tow, but also use my tundra as a 20k year commuter. I am getting 19-20 mpg hwy, 15-16 town, 9-12 towing. There isn't a rattle or squeak anywhere, love the power, radio, smooth ride, and handles better than anything from detroit. I can put 4 clients in it and feel proud, then tow all the toys. If Lexus made a truck, this would be it.

Favorite Features

Reliability, build quality, audio, back cab window goes down, smooth ride, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Put gear shift in center console. Offer the 17" rims and BF tires with TRD package.

Plastic inside is awful!
By asher

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The power of the truck is great and hauls anything. The problems are with the plastic, it is junk. The bevel around the stereo took five trips to the dealer and still creaks bad when cold. The driver side seat belt was noisy until after four trips to the same dealer and speaking with the manager got the problem resolved. The TRD is absolutely the most unforgiving off-road package that I have ever had for commuting. You get bounced all over the place. Watch out for the bumps even a small one causes the whole inside to creak bad and your hips will hurt. My twelve year old daughter can't even sit in the back without her legs hurting. The seats are out dated and shake. Wind noise is very high.

Favorite Features

The power train is great with not too bad of fuel economy. The durability of a tundra is evident. The 4x4 is great in the snow but the thump initially when engaging is less than desirable.

Suggested Improvements

Better plastic which is fitted better. Needs to be better built inside. Scrap the dash all together. Better sound and seats which went out in the eighties. Scrap the Bilstein shocks and TRD, which I will never purchase again. Good if you have to drive off road all day long or you have ear plugs