2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Drive the rest, then buy the best
By Kevin on 08/23/05 03:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first Toyota, and what a difference in quality, reliability, and workmanship than the Big 3. If you are considering a 4 door truck, go and drive the rest and then buy the best. This truck is awesome, it is like a luxury sedan in every way except it has a lot more cargo room and the ability to tow heavy payloads if needed. It also gets about the same gas mileage as my Honda Passport and it has a bigger engine.

Great Truck
By jerk on 08/17/05 17:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this truck for a liitle over 2 weeks and it is great. Took a 4oo mile each trip with the wife and 2 teenagers. No complaints at all from the back seat passengers. Milage is 16.9 mixed Highway and city, 18.3 highway driving the speed limit. Build quality is exceptional and power is very good. When the doors or tail gate is closed it sounds solid. Comfort is great for a truck. Only complaint is no lumbar support on drivers seat, this is cured by a lumbar roll.

First month
By newlimited on 08/11/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I tested every full-size truck out there over the summer. I loved the Nissan Titan, but it was a little too loud had HUGE towing mirrors. I liked the F-150 (esp on Z-plan). In fact, I liked those 2 better than Tundra SR5, but once I drove the Limited, I had a clear choice. It had the smoothest ride of any truck (full size OR compact) and every feature I wanted with only feature I didn't want (a cassette player!). Some may prefer the feel of a big truck, but for me the refinement in the ride was a selling point. The Toyota quality is a bonus.

Beyond its freshness date
By Scott on 08/01/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota truck and is the most refined of all, but it should be considering the body style has been out since 1999. Cabin is very quiet, 5 spd. tranny keeps you in the mid teens for mpg's and the power is improved. Interior layout needs work, heated seats, cargo lamp, and rear defog switches are all on wrong side of the console. Interior door handles are too small, fold and tumble rear seats are useless, leaves no room to store anything of bulk. The fit and finish are top notch for a truck however. Turning radius needs allot of work, this thing is tough to park, and the bed sides are to tall. Needs tailgate assist and rear sonar back-up detectors like the competition.

TUNDRA
By Robert Brennan on 07/30/05 16:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is just a half ton truck. If you are going to tow you have to get all the goodies to do it. You have to get the right gears and coolers to make it right. I did these things and have no problems. Don't think you are bying a one ton truck.

previous ford truck owner
By Tom in Virginia on 07/20/05 20:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Excellent truck. Very smooth transmission, motor is very refined. Seats are very comfortable. Just bought truck on 7/16/05. Liked the truck and was able to get a good deal.This truck is much more refined then my 2000 F150. When you drive the Tundra it handles and drives (very nimble) like a much smaller truck than it is. Like the shallow bed (easier to reach over sides to get cargo out) I only have about 160 miles on it at this time. I have owned Ford trucks all my life. I had it narrowed down to the Tundra,Tacoma, and Honda Ridgeline. The Tundra was the only one I ended up test driving. My wife agreed that it is all around the best looking of the three.

First Truck
By Tundra Guy 858 on 07/18/05 16:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

So far I havent had any problems with it. It has tons of power for passing and it accelerates good for a truck. Beat out BMWs. Very comfortable for a truck, only thing I gotta get used to is the bounce in the back when going over speed bumps or pot holes.

TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB, FORGET F150
By dennis Kasprzak on 07/18/05 00:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my tundra. I waited to review it until I had it for a while 8 months now. 15000 mile service, and the first car I have owned, that hasn't been to the shop multiple times for engine lights, breakdowns. As you can tell this is the first toyota I have owned. Hauls great had 2000 lbs of sod with minimal rear end sag. Towed 16 foot enclosed trailer rated above the 6800 lbs towing capacity with no problems, trailer brakes were wired and only required 4 wire hook up. Never a problem with power, will be adding trd supercharger when it becomes available. Only problem thus far has been on door panels. The carpet keeps comming unglued, will adress that at the 15000 mile service coming up.

Elegant Ride
By aasheal on 07/10/05 09:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

As a longtime owner and driver of American-made, full size pickups, the 4- door Tundra is by the far the most drivable machine I've ever owned. Its like a luxury car with an open trunk.

Like it so far
By limited1 on 07/04/05 16:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

First Toyota Truck purchase. Lots of good engineering in the engine design; Double overhead cams, variable timing, composite intake, decent cold air intake, less restrictive stock headers that I've ever seen. However, there's still room for improvement. I question decision to use the plastic door handles but I guess people that live in extreme hot areas like it. I haven't quite figured out why there are so many cup holders??? there's a total of 8 in the truck that seats 5. The turning radius is not very good but I wasn't surprices since it is 222 inches long. The Wheels look great. A set of bridgestone tires come stock. I would have rather seen goodyears instead. Overall, I love it so far.