Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Tundra Double Cab 4WD
By Garry Moore

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great running truck. First time I bought a "foreign" truck as I have been a FORD man since the 70's. Ford decided they didnt want to deal on their vehicles so I purchased a Tundra. Was looking at the Titan as well but since it was the first year i decided to pass. Thus far I am glad i did. Performance is excellent. Some ergonomic locations are not perfect such as window controls and windshield wiper location. Seems I always turn on the wipers when i turn right due to the location Excellent sound system as well. THANKS TOYOTA!

SUNROOF...I love the idea of the open top. Excellent JVC sound system.

Relocate the Wiper switch and the Power window buttons to behind the grab bar on the door.

Exactly what I expected
By nicetrk

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

sweet truck, no problems, and I have driven it 21,500 miles in 11 months! I not only tow, but also use my tundra as a 20k year commuter. I am getting 19-20 mpg hwy, 15-16 town, 9-12 towing. There isn't a rattle or squeak anywhere, love the power, radio, smooth ride, and handles better than anything from detroit. I can put 4 clients in it and feel proud, then tow all the toys. If Lexus made a truck, this would be it.

Reliability, build quality, audio, back cab window goes down, smooth ride, comfortable interior.

Put gear shift in center console. Offer the 17" rims and BF tires with TRD package.

What a great truck!
By Nick026

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I decided this time go Toyota becauseI needed reliability and nothing else even came close in reliability. So far I have not been disappointed at all. It drives like a lexus and is very responsive. I absoloutly love my truck. I can easily use it for work and pleasure as it fits my wife and 3 kids wonderfully. I test drove some of the others but as soon as I drove this one I knew I had to have it.

The way it handles, drives, Nice looking truck, The automatic rear window is nice too and there are plenty of cup holders.

The interior is a little drab could certainly use some updating. But certainly not drab enough to keep me from buying this truck.

Not crazy about it.
By srpeterson

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I like my Tundra V8 with the TRD package, but I'm not crazy about it. Ride and handling are great. I've had an irritating rumble/vibration that Toyota claims is a harmonic vibration from the exhaust and they have no fix for it. Live with it is their answer. Very disappointed with the gas mileage. From March to July 2005 I got 14 to 16 mpg. Since then I am averaging 11 to 12 mpg. This is for all round driving. I don't let the truck warm up forever before driving it so very little idling time. Getting some wind noise from somewhere around the windshield that wasn't there when I bought the truck. I have 7400 mi. on it now. Overall I think this is just a so - so vehicle.

Ride, engine power, power rear window, styling, front cloth bench seat is great.

Better cup holders for the bench seat. They are too shallow and one is so big around that things slide back and forth in it. Improve gas mileage. This doesn't remotely meet the advertised 15/18 city/highway mpg rating. I am getting a more realistic 12/14 mpg. I'm not a speed demon either!

Great Truck
By Dick

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2005 Tundra Double Cab SR5 Truck with the TRD Off- Road package and it has performed as well as I had expected. I read reviews before buying the Tundra and most reviews suggested the TRD Package. I am glad to report that the Truck performs well, rides excellant and gets decent gas mileage. At first I was averaging 17-18 mpg. Now after 10 months I am averaging 19-20 mpg. That's short trips as well as longer trips combined. The truck is comfortable with the captains chairs. The JBL system is great. The rear seats work great for passengers as well as carrying lots of groceries, etc. I pull a 19 ft travel trailer weighing 4500 lbs and get 12-13 mpg and have plenty of power.

Great comfort, great JBL System, large enough truck bed, plenty of rear seat area, great ride, handles nice, easy to change the oil and filter, nice interior and exterior, sufficient power, good mpg for a large truck.

I noticed that the 2006 tundra has less HP. I was expecting an increase to match the Titan HP. 300 HP would be nice and maybe a Diesel version should be considered.