Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Performance and reliability
By hank from georgia

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This has truly been a wonderful driving experience. I change the oil (Mobil One) every five thousand miles, and keep an eye on the other fluids, and I think this thing would run for a long, long time. The only trouble I had, was when the tire pressure indicator indicated that one of my tires was low on air pressure. I checked all four, and that is when I found out that the spare was also hooked up to a monitor. When I purchase another truck it will be a Tundra. (When you gonna put out a diesel?)

I like the cruise control operation. It is easy to access and use. It does blast off when you hit the resume however. A little less carburation would mean better trip gas mileage.

Figure out how to give me 22 miles per gallon on the road (overdrive?). Given today's climate of fuel concern, I am sure that this will be addressed

Ranch Truck
By cowman

2005 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Good employee! This truck works like a one ton on the ranch. Regularly hauls 3000 pounds of feed, pipe, fence posts, etc. Heaviest load in the bed was 8000 pounds (100 bags) of concrete readymix, which it hauled 150 miles without complaining. Frequently tows a bumper pull cattle trailer that weighs over 10,000 pounds loaded with squirming livestock. Most mileage is in pastures and on dirt roads. No repairs, only oil changes for 32,000 miles. Except for going to town, I just leave it in 4WD and still manage 16-17 mpg over rocks and thru creekbeds. On the highway, I have gotten over 21 mpg. Unlike my Dodge and Chevy, the Toyota allows me to be a rancher, instead of mechanic.

Long bed, which can actually hold stuff with the tail gate shut, and has low enough sides to get things out of it without having to climb into it.

Wish that the Tundra had a heavier suspension, or that Toyota made a true one ton truck. The bed sidewalls dent easily, but less so than other new trucks. Newer trucks just need more steel!

Be loved for almost 3 years
By BMCDEXPRES

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck brand new on July 28, 2005 and I have put only 17600 miles on it, because I only drive 5 miles to work and I have been loving it since day one. Since I own a home this truck is so useful. Driving is fun and so comportable for a short or long drive. It's been almost 3 years now I have not been in the shop for any kind of repair other than oil change. I am happy with the quality and the reliability of this truck. I think I have made a good choice.

4 doors, garage door opener, outside temp gauge, JBL audio system, V8 282HP and 325ft-lbs, etc

Improve gas mileage. Gas mileage is nowhere near advertising.

I'm impressed!
By JimN

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had Chevy's and traded my Ford F150 SuperCrew 4x4 for this Tundra 4WD "DoubleCab" and have to say its a difference between day and night. Quieter, smoother, more comfortable and absolutely more payload capacity as well as being one tough truck. I have since added a 2.5" leveling kit and 33" oversize tires and this thing still is as quiet and smooth as the day I got it.

Awesome room both front and back. The rear sliding window is fantastic - why doesn't anyone else do this? I also love the fact its virtually rattle free and rock solid! Performance is top notch too, it doesn't flinch with 1-ton of gravel in the bed either!

The cruise control lever is quirky, I don't use it much so takes me a few tries to get it set. The center console is too low and the arm rests in the front chairs aren't positioned properly. I also don't like the lighting on the instruments during the day, too much glare and hard to see at times.

Most excellent truck
By MonkeyTracker

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best truck I've ever had. 36,000 miles on it and it's as tight and rattle-free as the day I drove it off the lot. I enjoy driving it everyday.

Very strong engine... runs like a scalded ape. No problems with engine or truck up to this point.

I hate Toyota's cruise control switch.