Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

55,000 miles and going!
By kevthom

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 with 50,000 miles on it with faith in Toyota's reputation in longevity. So far no maintenance problems, just a battery replacement. The ride is comfortable with the TRD package, including at high speeds, and I love the full sliding rear window. The 4WD works great in snow with rare instances in which the 4WD does not engage immediately. The dashboard around the stereo and glove box squeaks irritatingly on bumps/rough roads, especially when cold. Overall a great vehicle and I plan on keeping it until it runs into the ground!

Engine runs smooth and strong, and transmission shifts smoothly. Love the sunroof (no leaks yet!) and full sliding rear window - compared to other trucks that have much smaller window. Good space for passengers and comfortable cloth seats.

The 4WD models should come standard with tube step bar beneath doors. Cruise control on the steering wheel is desirable, instead of behind the steering wheel.

Ford and Chevy don't stand a chance
By gnc1104

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Tundra used after my F150 was totaled. What a monster!!! I own a construction business, and the Tundra beats the F150 in every category. MPG, power, torque, ride, room, comfort, etc. I will never buy a Ford or Chevy truck again. I added exhaust, leveling kit, and oversized tires, and I am getting about 21 mpg. WOW!!!! Drive one and you will buy one.

POWER, MPG, power rear window, and ride

HMMMM......... better turning radius.

Love my Tundra
By Bill

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my truck new and have loved it since the first day. I use synthetic oil and have it changed at the dealer about every 5000 miles. Last year I was in a 5 car accident. I was driving 65 mph, locked it up and stopped about 4 feet from hitting the car in front of me. The guy behind me did not stop. He smashed in the front end of his car and had to be towed. My bumper had a small dent and I was fine. He must have hit me at about 60 mph. Since then, I have bought a 4 Runner for my wife and a 4 Runner for my daughter for her first car. I need to get a timing belt put on the truck - get your maintenance at the dealer, your truck will last forever.

I love the reliability and after almost 100k miles people think it is 2 years old.

None

After 5,000 miles with my 2005 Tundra...
By rjw5150

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the truck used in July 2008 and have been pleasantly surprised at the comfort and performance so far. When buying used, I highly recommend a Toyota off-lease vehicle given that it is easier to see its maintenance history. I didn't buy an extended warranty because I expect Toyota to be built well and durable. So far that is the case and my Tundra drives well, the double cab exceeds my expectations on space and room, the engine provides adequate power for our homeowner and daily driver uses such as hauling lumber, furniture, and the occasional load of dirt or rocks. Everything appears to be functioning as designed. We'll see how well the truck performs as I rack up the miles.

The 4.7 liter V-8 is smooth and has good power. The suspension and ride are smooth and handling is great for a bigger truck. The dash gauges and steering column controls are easily visible and accessible. Fit and finish on the interior appears good. The cab is quiet even at higher speeds.

Paint a little thin given a few paint chips on the hood; tire pressure warning light is on with factory-required pressure in tires; occasional squeaking from the front suspension and an occasional rattle from glove box door; fuel economy less than posted; engine may be little undersized for crew cab.

Excellent Truck for work and pleasure
By Bill

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife prefers riding in my truck on trips over her Infinity I35. She says it is more comfortable. The truck tows my 21'boat with ease. I've owned Chevys, Nissans and a T100 in the past and this is by far the best. Great truck.

The seats are very comfortable and the electric rear window is awesome. I can slide 16' boards through the window with ease.

Work on improving the mpg.