Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Great truck !!!!
By joe

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck rides and performs fantastic. Fit finish are top notch. Getting 15mpg around town and 20mpg on highway. Mileage will get better after about 5000 miles.

Favorite Features

The whole truck.

Suggested Improvements

None so far.

Great Truck
By BB

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a new 05 double cab... great truck. It's got a lot of power and handles very comfortable both on the highway and on the dirt. My mother-in-law has driven it and is very impressed. It is also very quiet for a truck. I can get 5 big adults in it plus a lot of stuff in the bed and pull a big boat and have no problems! Reliability has been perfect so far. I have about 19000 miles on it so far. I could drive this truck all day and never get tired. You can't go wrong with this truck.

Favorite Features

Roll down rear window is very cool. Power is excellent and I also like the styling.

Suggested Improvements

Low end torque is strong and sometimes I don't pull off a stop smoothly. If I could have it perfect, I would have told Toyota to give me a cooler interior, as the dash is a little outdated. But these are petty items.

V6 SR5 after 11,500mi.
By Jim Hamilton

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have 11,500mi. since Feb and Av.18.6mpg city and 22mpg hwy. It is the V6 4L. I have no complaints, the best truck I have owned. I am a contractor and do 97% stop and go driving. The seats are comfortable although I would rec. paying extra for the electric drivers seat. The base model SR5 has no lumbar adjustment, my only complaint other than the rear brakes are drum and not disc. That is pretty cheap! I had the 17" wheels switched from the larger 4dr model to my base 4dr. SR5 model+$650 which look 100% better & would do again. I prefer the 4L V6 VVT to the 15-18mpg V8 gas hog. This is my 5th Toyota Truck & I have had 3 Fords, 2 GMC 3/4 ton pickups but the Tundra is my choice

Favorite Features

I like the smooth ride & quiet 4L V6 VVT w/good gas mileage for a pickup 18.6 city after 11,500mi. I like the interior lay out & dash gauges, not thrilled with metal dash board, looks cheap. I like the seats.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see lumbar adj.on the seats of SR5 Cab. For a truck that cost more than others, it should have disc brakes on the rear, not drum brakes. I would like the rear acess doors to open from the inside like Fords. The steel wheels on SR5 models should be sent to the junk yard. Ugly ugly.

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
By Scott

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Toyota - The most relaiable truck, period. Toyota did a great job on the Tundra both inside & out. This is my third Toyota, and I have never had any problems with them mechanically or cosmetic. My only complaint on the Tundra is that it came with Dunlop tires from the factory, and they are terrible. I only have 9500 miles on the truck, and the tires are shot. I can't understand why Toyota would put crappy tires on this truck. The fuel mileage could use some improvement too. I get 15 hwy - should be around 20 hwy. If you are looking for a quality, dependable truck, the Tundra is the one!!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, power rear window, interior & exterior design, deep truck bed, V8, smooth shifting

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage, lighted blinkers in side mirrors, rear heated seats, lighted switches for power windows/locks/mirrors, use Bridgestone or Michelin tires from factory.

Cruisin' in the Tundra
By Nowell

2005 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck to replace my pile of 2002 GMC Denali. Seem very durable and powerful with the v6. I have an automatic and am getting no less than 22 mpg on the freeway at 75 mph with the a/c on. 26 mpg with the a/c off at 60 mph. I had to add a cruise control which was a small engineering marvel since the vehicle is drive by wire. Being a mechanic it was just a sunday in the shop. It looks factory and works great. It could be the reason the gas mileage is so great. I love this truck and will never purchase a Ford or GM product again. I hope it runs 300k. You know how those slant 6 six run for ever.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, comfortable bench seat, tire psi monitor, maintenance reminder, locking tailgate... Oh did I mention the MPG. with lots of power

Suggested Improvements

Locking gas door lid, power package on v6 regular cab,