Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Work Truck
By HL

2005 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the standard cab V6 6 speed manual new as my work truck. It currently has 118000 miles with the original clutch and has only required the standard maintenance (tires, oil, filters, spark plugs, brake pads, rotors). With the tool boxes and welder it carries an extra 1500 lbs in the bed at all times with no problems.

Low maintenance, decent fuel economy (18mpg), value (purchased new for $14,600).

Ranch Truck
By cowman

2005 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Good employee! This truck works like a one ton on the ranch. Regularly hauls 3000 pounds of feed, pipe, fence posts, etc. Heaviest load in the bed was 8000 pounds (100 bags) of concrete readymix, which it hauled 150 miles without complaining. Frequently tows a bumper pull cattle trailer that weighs over 10,000 pounds loaded with squirming livestock. Most mileage is in pastures and on dirt roads. No repairs, only oil changes for 32,000 miles. Except for going to town, I just leave it in 4WD and still manage 16-17 mpg over rocks and thru creekbeds. On the highway, I have gotten over 21 mpg. Unlike my Dodge and Chevy, the Toyota allows me to be a rancher, instead of mechanic.

Long bed, which can actually hold stuff with the tail gate shut, and has low enough sides to get things out of it without having to climb into it.

Wish that the Tundra had a heavier suspension, or that Toyota made a true one ton truck. The bed sidewalls dent easily, but less so than other new trucks. Newer trucks just need more steel!

Cruisin' in the Tundra
By Nowell

2005 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck to replace my pile of 2002 GMC Denali. Seem very durable and powerful with the v6. I have an automatic and am getting no less than 22 mpg on the freeway at 75 mph with the a/c on. 26 mpg with the a/c off at 60 mph. I had to add a cruise control which was a small engineering marvel since the vehicle is drive by wire. Being a mechanic it was just a sunday in the shop. It looks factory and works great. It could be the reason the gas mileage is so great. I love this truck and will never purchase a Ford or GM product again. I hope it runs 300k. You know how those slant 6 six run for ever.

Gas mileage, comfortable bench seat, tire psi monitor, maintenance reminder, locking tailgate... Oh did I mention the MPG. with lots of power

Locking gas door lid, power package on v6 regular cab,

First week impressions
By Bob

2005 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first truck. The ride is car like with just a bit more engine noise and vibration. Excellent comfort makes this truck easy to drive. Tons of torque while maintaining smooth shifts. No rattles and an excellent AM/FM CD with four speakers. Great visibility front, rear and sides. The tilt wheel is a must have because it allows for a comfortable driving position as well as making it easy to enter and exit the cab.

I really like the arm rest which folds out of the center of the bench seat. The V-8 engine wants to go and I can accelerate at will. I am eye to eye with the majority of trucks and SUVs.

I dislike the "Tundra" carpeted mats because they slide around on the vinyl floor covering. Oddly, the driver's mat has only one hook to hold it in place while the passenger mat has no hooks at all.

First Truck
By Tundra Guy 858

2005 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

So far I havent had any problems with it. It has tons of power for passing and it accelerates good for a truck. Beat out BMWs. Very comfortable for a truck, only thing I gotta get used to is the bounce in the back when going over speed bumps or pot holes.

Handles like a car but has the capabilities of a truck.

If i had to say something, i would say the position of the clock in front of the cupholders, but thats if I'm bein real picky.