Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Reliable, reliable, reliable. And comfy.
By joe_kickass

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The best vehicle I've ever owned. Smooth, powerful, comfortable, and above all else, RELIABLE. Quietest cab I've ever ridden in. I've got 114,00 miles on this 8 year-old truck, some of which have been very hard miles. Like 2 yards of concrete in the bed kind of hard. (I've got air springs in the back, increasing payload and improving handling). There's not even a rattle in the cab after 8 years. Tight as a drum. This thing has never needed anything more than standard maintenance. Ford, GM, and Dodge can say they have the better rig, but read the comments on those used trucks on this very website. You won't want anything but a Tundra when you do. Unless you're a dumb redneck.

Favorite Features

NO road noise, air-tight cab, ride quality, and reliability. Full width power back window is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer coil springs and shocks in the front and improved fuel economy. There's no reason a 4.7L V8 should only get 16MPG combined mileage.

Best owned Vehicle to date!
By shodon_main

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I currently own the 2005 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr 4x4 and it is the best vehicle that I have owned yet! I bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it and have since put 30,000 more miles onto it and it hasnt even had a hicup. I have driven the truck from Colorado to the tip of texas and back, hauled a packed full 6'x12' trailer from Colorado to New York and then from New York to Oklahoma and havent had a single problem or gripe with this truck. I currently use it as a daily driver and occasionally to haul the 4 wheeler to the sand dunes for a fun weekend.

Favorite Features

I love the 4 wheel drive on this truck. It always enguages when I need it to and has never had a problem pulling me out or through the toughest of situations. I have taken it off roading in the mountains of Colorado to the Sand Dunes in Oklahoma. The seats are very comfy and the seat warmers are a life saver on those fridged days. There is plenty of room in the back seat to haul all my buddies from work or just to throw nice things into if you dont want them sitting back in the bed. The truck has plenty of torque and more than enough get up and go even when hauling heavy trailers. I really like that the whole back window slides down at the push of a button.

Suggested Improvements

This truck is an older truck now so a lot of the imporvements have already been made on it. A back up camera is a pretty good idea with these trucks as they are quite large and it helps if you use a trailer a lot. The turning radius on this truck is pretty bad so a lot of the time you will have to do a couple point turn for things and really think about where to turn and where you simply wont be able too. At this point the paint all around my truck seems to be chipping or peeling. Not sure if that is just me or others as well. Overall thought it is a solid truck and very fun to drive. Highly recommended to anyone thinking of buying one.

Great used buy
By CavMan

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased truck with 65,500 miles on it and replaced two small dash bulbs and compass, but extended warranty took care of that. Other than that, the dash will rattle a little when cold, but truck is VERY sound. Power is very much still there with the 4.7 V8. I owned a (NEW) 2004 Chevy Suburban 4x4 and had 14 problems within 18 months of purchase. I'll definitely buy another Tundra!

Favorite Features

Power back window that NO OTHER manufacturer can match!

Suggested Improvements

Improvements made to newer models

A great truck!
By Todd Griesmann

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with 19k on it, it now has 55k,it has been great, only problem was a tire sensor went out, i tow a 6500 lb travel trailer with it and it does well, works, but does the job, only problem is it gets about 10 mpg towing the trailer. comfort, style and power, it has it all.

Favorite Features

Rear sliding window and jbl stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Drivetrain clunk from axle wrap starting and stopping, common tundra issue. Could use a bit more towing capacity.

Solid since New
By Bill

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my tundra new in 2005. It has been regularly serviced and to date I have had no issues outside of regular maintenance. Currently I have 69,000 miles and still have the original Dunlop OEM tires. It is about time to replace, but not bad for a truck. The interior is "ok", but the drivetrain is as smooth as silk. Mileage could be better, but it is a truck. Love the Limited slip diff, as well as the roll down rear window.

Favorite Features

Roll down window, powertrain, smooth ride, solid engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats (comfort), improved gas mileage, improved turning radius.