Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Good Truck......until.......
By miamioolite

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well. I wanted a full size truck that didn't outweigh a tank so this series of Tundra fit the bill.
Drives more car like, so agile easy to park. Acceleration is good when empty, huals well, tows well.
At 77k miles the air pump failed, disables the engine, $3k to fix. Not warrantied. Poorly made corner cutting part. Toyota won't help. I understand it has 77k on it, but Toyota quality in these mid years has gone down. Replaced the ball joint, window motor, motor mount. Maybe I got a bad car, but check out the Tundra forums. I am not alone. Not what toyota used to be.

Towing, comfortable, great driving truck!

Oyi. How about bump your quality back up instead of trying to be the biggest car maker in the world. Probably not buying a toyota again. Tiny parts cost the same as a new transmission. lame.

Big truck mileage, mid-sized performance.
By ygbsm

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I needed a vehicle for reliable transportation to replace my 20 year old F-150. The dealer offered me an awesome deal on a three year old, low mileage Tundra and I took it. Very comfortable, 100% reliable, handles well and holds its value.

On the downside is the mileage. Most of my driving is commuting to/from work and I feel fortunate if I get 15 MPG. I want to put a camper (slide-in pop-up type) on it and am extremely limited in what I can get. The tow capacity is more than what I've ever needed but I'd like to have more available.

My buddies with 3/4 ton trucks get better mileage than I do.

It's very comfortable and I never, EVER, have questioned whether or not it'll get me where I want to go. The stereo is good, the controls are easy/accessible and it cruises down the interstate with a solid feel.

Nothing...the truck has grown up. Even now, I'd be looking at American trucks for serious hauling capacity.

Great little/big truck
By Terry

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck had 42,000 miles on it when I bought it. I am an on the road salesman and the truck has never let me down. I now have over 205,000 miles on it and get about 21 miles per gal. Its never been tuned up, nor has the timing belt been changed. I have no doubt the truck will keep on going.

The suspension appears like a 4-wheel drive, especially when I had over size tires on it. The interior is very comfortable. The ride is smooth. I don't care for the stereo/radio.

Needs better stereo/radio and speakers.

Great truck.
By SP

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought new. Excellent quality, fit and finish. It looks and drives pretty much the same as new. Really enjoy driving it. One issue: Toyota dealers trying to "service" the truck far in excess of what's needed per the factory (examples: Toyota dealer in MDR, CA refused refused to do anything other than a "package" service with all sorts of costly extras; Toyota dealer in Burlingame, CA refused to replace front brake pads w/out machining the rotors despite the rotors being even and smooth). When that happens, find another Toyota dealer (example: the Toyota dealer in North Hollywood, CA was happy to do exactly what Toyota specified and no more -- saved me money and my truck runs great).

Engine: Smooth and plenty of horsepower and torque. Interior: Very comfortable, doesn't show much wear. Ride: Smooth. Exterior dimensions and looks: Perfect. Glad it's durable, as I can't stand to think about replacing it with the next generation jumbo Tundra - too big and goofy looking.

Stronger tailgate please. Ease of service -- shouldn't have to hunt for Toyota dealers willing to stick to factory specifications for service. Toyota should build "x" number of years of scheduled service into the price. Toyota dealers servicing beyond specification -- that's a big negative.

Toyota In NH
By Toyota in NH

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this tundra after owning 4 other Toyota. Traded my 97 Tacoma with 200,000. Great truck goes good and with my exhaust, she really pumps out the ponies. Towing two snowmobiles and a 4 wheeler and I can't tell they're behind me. My friends own Chevy's and this truck smokes them with the trailer hooked to it! Buy one you'll love it!!!

Toyota quality, Gas mileage better than my old Tacoma, Power and torque, 4x4, No unscheduled repairs.

Bigger interior I'm 6'5". Rear suspension is light but ok. Front end sits too low for off-roading stock truck. Trailer connector placement. Mine broke twice.