2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Good Truck......until.......
By miamioolite on 01/23/13 08:28 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well. I wanted a full size truck that didn't outweigh a tank so this series of Tundra fit the bill. Drives more car like, so agile easy to park. Acceleration is good when empty, huals well, tows well. At 77k miles the air pump failed, disables the engine, $3k to fix. Not warrantied. Poorly made corner cutting part. Toyota won't help. I understand it has 77k on it, but Toyota quality in these mid years has gone down. Replaced the ball joint, window motor, motor mount. Maybe I got a bad car, but check out the Tundra forums. I am not alone. Not what toyota used to be.

Big truck mileage, mid-sized performance.
By ygbsm on 11/05/12 08:37 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I needed a vehicle for reliable transportation to replace my 20 year old F-150. The dealer offered me an awesome deal on a three year old, low mileage Tundra and I took it. Very comfortable, 100% reliable, handles well and holds its value. On the downside is the mileage. Most of my driving is commuting to/from work and I feel fortunate if I get 15 MPG. I want to put a camper (slide-in pop-up type) on it and am extremely limited in what I can get. The tow capacity is more than what I've ever needed but I'd like to have more available. My buddies with 3/4 ton trucks get better mileage than I do.

Great little/big truck
By Terry on 09/01/10 18:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck had 42,000 miles on it when I bought it. I am an on the road salesman and the truck has never let me down. I now have over 205,000 miles on it and get about 21 miles per gal. Its never been tuned up, nor has the timing belt been changed. I have no doubt the truck will keep on going.

Great truck.
By SP on 04/17/10 11:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought new. Excellent quality, fit and finish. It looks and drives pretty much the same as new. Really enjoy driving it. One issue: Toyota dealers trying to "service" the truck far in excess of what's needed per the factory (examples: Toyota dealer in MDR, CA refused refused to do anything other than a "package" service with all sorts of costly extras; Toyota dealer in Burlingame, CA refused to replace front brake pads w/out machining the rotors despite the rotors being even and smooth). When that happens, find another Toyota dealer (example: the Toyota dealer in North Hollywood, CA was happy to do exactly what Toyota specified and no more -- saved me money and my truck runs great).

Toyota In NH
By Toyota in NH on 08/19/09 14:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this tundra after owning 4 other Toyota. Traded my 97 Tacoma with 200,000. Great truck goes good and with my exhaust, she really pumps out the ponies. Towing two snowmobiles and a 4 wheeler and I can't tell they're behind me. My friends own Chevy's and this truck smokes them with the trailer hooked to it! Buy one you'll love it!!!

Tundra
By Jeff on 05/24/09 05:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck new after my 10th time at the shop to fix my 03 Dodge 2500 diesel. The Tundra is a good, reliable truck, in four years it has never been in a shop. I change the oil myself. We live 25 miles from any dealership and the Tundra never needs one. We use it to haul hay, do ranch tasks, tow a stock trailer and our camper on vacations. I try to keep loads under a ton. The Tundra is really comfortable and is great in the snow in 4X4. Spends half its miles in 4X4 on dirt roads, 99% of its time hauling or towing, usually both. Someone needs to tell the Dodge/Ford/Chevy guys a long warranty and free fixes do us mountain folks, far from dealers, NO GOOD!!!

2005 Tundra 4.7 Limited Stepside 2WD
By resconroe on 03/31/09 12:05 PM (PDT)

Bought this truck used September 2008 with 28000 miles as lease return. Replaced Enkei 20" wheels and Goodyears with 17" factory alloys and new Dunlops to get a better balance. Powerful engine gets good gas mileage. Quiet, smooth ride. Excellent 10" ground clearance.

V6 Tundra like buying Tacoma with room
By gatr on 10/18/08 17:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 4.0 Tundra. I bought it used and have driven it for 10 months. It's great on gas mileage and has plenty of in town power. It's great for small loads from the local box store and suburban hauling. The engine runs really nicely and the fit and finish in the truck is great. I would buy this truck again. If you don't haul big stuff there is no reason to get the V8.

Performance and reliability
By hank from georgia on 06/18/08 12:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This has truly been a wonderful driving experience. I change the oil (Mobil One) every five thousand miles, and keep an eye on the other fluids, and I think this thing would run for a long, long time. The only trouble I had, was when the tire pressure indicator indicated that one of my tires was low on air pressure. I checked all four, and that is when I found out that the spare was also hooked up to a monitor. When I purchase another truck it will be a Tundra. (When you gonna put out a diesel?)

Most excellent truck
By MonkeyTracker on 01/15/08 19:50 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best truck I've ever had. 36,000 miles on it and it's as tight and rattle-free as the day I drove it off the lot. I enjoy driving it everyday.