2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Tundra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Sort Reviews by

Solid since New

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my tundra new in 2005. It has been regularly serviced and to date I have had no issues outside of regular maintenance. Currently I have 69,000 miles and still have the original Dunlop OEM tires. It is about time to replace, but not bad for a truck. The interior is "ok", but the drivetrain is as smooth as silk. Mileage could be better, but it is a truck. Love the Limited slip diff, as well as the roll down rear window.

Favorite Features

Roll down window, powertrain, smooth ride, solid engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats (comfort), improved gas mileage, improved turning radius.

Worth the money and the ride
By hydrosport

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned my tundra for four years. It has been a workhorse and still rides like the day I brought her home. Mileage is 15/18 which isn't bad. No problems and engine is still silky smooth. Would buy another one. Tows my boat well and limited slip is very sure footed.

Favorite Features

Decent ground clearance for a 2wd pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better stereo.

Dependability!

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a classic Toyota. Very reliable vehicle with decent features that make it practical and economical. Can't say enough good things about the truck.

Favorite Features

Rear window that slides down. Extremely smooth transmission and engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy for the size of engine.

Solid Performer
By William

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Drive Tundra to work everyday approx 22 miles of highway driving. Has been a very reliable vehicle with now having 62,000 miles and still on the original tires. Only maintenance has been by the book with fluid changes. Tow boat about once every two weeks and it handles a 3,000 pound package without any problem.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Transmission is extremely smooth as well as the ride. Love the rear window that rolls down.

Suggested Improvements

Should get better gas mileage with only a 4.7 litre motor and a relatively smaller frame as trucks go. Average about 16 city and 18 on highway.

Ford and Chevy don't stand a chance
By gnc1104

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Tundra used after my F150 was totaled. What a monster!!! I own a construction business, and the Tundra beats the F150 in every category. MPG, power, torque, ride, room, comfort, etc. I will never buy a Ford or Chevy truck again. I added exhaust, leveling kit, and oversized tires, and I am getting about 21 mpg. WOW!!!! Drive one and you will buy one.

Favorite Features

POWER, MPG, power rear window, and ride

Suggested Improvements

HMMMM......... better turning radius.

Love my Tundra

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my truck new and have loved it since the first day. I use synthetic oil and have it changed at the dealer about every 5000 miles. Last year I was in a 5 car accident. I was driving 65 mph, locked it up and stopped about 4 feet from hitting the car in front of me. The guy behind me did not stop. He smashed in the front end of his car and had to be towed. My bumper had a small dent and I was fine. He must have hit me at about 60 mph. Since then, I have bought a 4 Runner for my wife and a 4 Runner for my daughter for her first car. I need to get a timing belt put on the truck - get your maintenance at the dealer, your truck will last forever.

Favorite Features

I love the reliability and after almost 100k miles people think it is 2 years old.

Suggested Improvements

None

Excellent Truck for work and pleasure

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife prefers riding in my truck on trips over her Infinity I35. She says it is more comfortable. The truck tows my 21'boat with ease. I've owned Chevys, Nissans and a T100 in the past and this is by far the best. Great truck.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable and the electric rear window is awesome. I can slide 16' boards through the window with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Work on improving the mpg.

Be loved for almost 3 years
By BMCDEXPRES

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck brand new on July 28, 2005 and I have put only 17600 miles on it, because I only drive 5 miles to work and I have been loving it since day one. Since I own a home this truck is so useful. Driving is fun and so comportable for a short or long drive. It's been almost 3 years now I have not been in the shop for any kind of repair other than oil change. I am happy with the quality and the reliability of this truck. I think I have made a good choice.

Favorite Features

4 doors, garage door opener, outside temp gauge, JBL audio system, V8 282HP and 325ft-lbs, etc

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage. Gas mileage is nowhere near advertising.

What a great truck!
By Nick026

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I decided this time go Toyota becauseI needed reliability and nothing else even came close in reliability. So far I have not been disappointed at all. It drives like a lexus and is very responsive. I absoloutly love my truck. I can easily use it for work and pleasure as it fits my wife and 3 kids wonderfully. I test drove some of the others but as soon as I drove this one I knew I had to have it.

Favorite Features

The way it handles, drives, Nice looking truck, The automatic rear window is nice too and there are plenty of cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is a little drab could certainly use some updating. But certainly not drab enough to keep me from buying this truck.

Great Truck
By Dick

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2005 Tundra Double Cab SR5 Truck with the TRD Off- Road package and it has performed as well as I had expected. I read reviews before buying the Tundra and most reviews suggested the TRD Package. I am glad to report that the Truck performs well, rides excellant and gets decent gas mileage. At first I was averaging 17-18 mpg. Now after 10 months I am averaging 19-20 mpg. That's short trips as well as longer trips combined. The truck is comfortable with the captains chairs. The JBL system is great. The rear seats work great for passengers as well as carrying lots of groceries, etc. I pull a 19 ft travel trailer weighing 4500 lbs and get 12-13 mpg and have plenty of power.

Favorite Features

Great comfort, great JBL System, large enough truck bed, plenty of rear seat area, great ride, handles nice, easy to change the oil and filter, nice interior and exterior, sufficient power, good mpg for a large truck.

Suggested Improvements

I noticed that the 2006 tundra has less HP. I was expecting an increase to match the Titan HP. 300 HP would be nice and maybe a Diesel version should be considered.