2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Reliable, reliable, reliable. And comfy.
By joe_kickass on 03/27/14 09:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The best vehicle I've ever owned. Smooth, powerful, comfortable, and above all else, RELIABLE. Quietest cab I've ever ridden in. I've got 114,00 miles on this 8 year-old truck, some of which have been very hard miles. Like 2 yards of concrete in the bed kind of hard. (I've got air springs in the back, increasing payload and improving handling). There's not even a rattle in the cab after 8 years. Tight as a drum. This thing has never needed anything more than standard maintenance. Ford, GM, and Dodge can say they have the better rig, but read the comments on those used trucks on this very website. You won't want anything but a Tundra when you do. Unless you're a dumb redneck.

Best owned Vehicle to date!
By shodon_main on 02/15/13 11:03 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I currently own the 2005 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr 4x4 and it is the best vehicle that I have owned yet! I bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it and have since put 30,000 more miles onto it and it hasnt even had a hicup. I have driven the truck from Colorado to the tip of texas and back, hauled a packed full 6'x12' trailer from Colorado to New York and then from New York to Oklahoma and havent had a single problem or gripe with this truck. I currently use it as a daily driver and occasionally to haul the 4 wheeler to the sand dunes for a fun weekend.

Good Truck......until.......
By miamioolite on 01/23/13 08:28 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well. I wanted a full size truck that didn't outweigh a tank so this series of Tundra fit the bill. Drives more car like, so agile easy to park. Acceleration is good when empty, huals well, tows well. At 77k miles the air pump failed, disables the engine, $3k to fix. Not warrantied. Poorly made corner cutting part. Toyota won't help. I understand it has 77k on it, but Toyota quality in these mid years has gone down. Replaced the ball joint, window motor, motor mount. Maybe I got a bad car, but check out the Tundra forums. I am not alone. Not what toyota used to be.

Big truck mileage, mid-sized performance.
By ygbsm on 11/05/12 08:37 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I needed a vehicle for reliable transportation to replace my 20 year old F-150. The dealer offered me an awesome deal on a three year old, low mileage Tundra and I took it. Very comfortable, 100% reliable, handles well and holds its value. On the downside is the mileage. Most of my driving is commuting to/from work and I feel fortunate if I get 15 MPG. I want to put a camper (slide-in pop-up type) on it and am extremely limited in what I can get. The tow capacity is more than what I've ever needed but I'd like to have more available. My buddies with 3/4 ton trucks get better mileage than I do.

Great little/big truck
By Terry on 09/01/10 18:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck had 42,000 miles on it when I bought it. I am an on the road salesman and the truck has never let me down. I now have over 205,000 miles on it and get about 21 miles per gal. Its never been tuned up, nor has the timing belt been changed. I have no doubt the truck will keep on going.

Great used buy
By CavMan on 05/16/10 16:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased truck with 65,500 miles on it and replaced two small dash bulbs and compass, but extended warranty took care of that. Other than that, the dash will rattle a little when cold, but truck is VERY sound. Power is very much still there with the 4.7 V8. I owned a (NEW) 2004 Chevy Suburban 4x4 and had 14 problems within 18 months of purchase. I'll definitely buy another Tundra!

Great truck.
By SP on 04/17/10 11:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought new. Excellent quality, fit and finish. It looks and drives pretty much the same as new. Really enjoy driving it. One issue: Toyota dealers trying to "service" the truck far in excess of what's needed per the factory (examples: Toyota dealer in MDR, CA refused refused to do anything other than a "package" service with all sorts of costly extras; Toyota dealer in Burlingame, CA refused to replace front brake pads w/out machining the rotors despite the rotors being even and smooth). When that happens, find another Toyota dealer (example: the Toyota dealer in North Hollywood, CA was happy to do exactly what Toyota specified and no more -- saved me money and my truck runs great).

A great truck!
By Todd Griesmann on 04/04/10 06:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with 19k on it, it now has 55k,it has been great, only problem was a tire sensor went out, i tow a 6500 lb travel trailer with it and it does well, works, but does the job, only problem is it gets about 10 mpg towing the trailer. comfort, style and power, it has it all.

Solid since New
By Bill on 01/30/10 12:00 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my tundra new in 2005. It has been regularly serviced and to date I have had no issues outside of regular maintenance. Currently I have 69,000 miles and still have the original Dunlop OEM tires. It is about time to replace, but not bad for a truck. The interior is "ok", but the drivetrain is as smooth as silk. Mileage could be better, but it is a truck. Love the Limited slip diff, as well as the roll down rear window.

Worth the money and the ride
By hydrosport on 01/05/10 15:58 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned my tundra for four years. It has been a workhorse and still rides like the day I brought her home. Mileage is 15/18 which isn't bad. No problems and engine is still silky smooth. Would buy another one. Tows my boat well and limited slip is very sure footed.