2004 Toyota Tundra Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Tundra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Sort Reviews by

Great truck
By Archie Bowers

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The bad first : this thing drinks plenty of gas ! Now the good : bought spanking new in 2004. After 225,000 km Fluid changes, brakes, 3 rd set of Michelins, and a pricey right front bushing sealed unit. That's it ! Reliable, good looking, lots of space. This thing will go for another 10 years and another 225,000 easily and i'll bet reliably. What a great truck. Nicest i've owned to date and ive had plenty ! Can't figure why to change up to a new truck when this one owes me nothing, still looks fresh, and rides beautifully with 5 fully retracting windows incl. full rear window drop down, and a nice size moon roof. The big 3 cant offer that in a new truck for 50, 60, even 70 thousand $.

The best vehicle a guy could ever own !
By taz779

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck right off the lot in 2004. It was my DREAM truck. For years I watched waited and prayed that one day it would happen and it DID ! I think one of the sleekest design moves that Toyota did with Tubdra that year is the rear window that amazingly to this day I am still getting comments about. Goes all the way down !!! I love the way ppl are freaked out by this, in addition to this day ppl are still wanting to buy my truck. My final word I have had a very hard time coming to the decision untill this year which my mechanic helped me with I going to KEEP HER !!! My next DREAM VEHICLE is Toyota ( LAND CRUSIER) ...YES Go drive one today !

Favorite Features

Rear window Power going up hill

Suggested Improvements

Give more of a mean frontr and rear end design in addition to PLEASE MAKE A HYBRID ENGINE SOON !!!

Great truck!
By vetitcomb

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new on January 4th of 2004, and I have not had a single problem. I have 120,000 miles on it, and it still runs like new. It is a little slow, but that is expected with a 3.4 in this size of a truck. I would definitely recommend a Tundra to anyone looking for a good used vehicle.

Favorite Features

Decent fuel economy, reliability.

04 Tundrea Double Cab SR5 4X4 - 214K Miles No Problem
By grace_524

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Tundra Double cab SR5 4X4. My truck has 214K miles on it and I've had no problems except small power steering leak but I simply add some power steering fluid every month. Great Truck!!!

Nice truck!
By tnydtger

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it with 60,000 miles 2004. The car runs smooth, you would think your driving a lexus sedan not a pick up truck. I love the outside looks, much better and sleek then the new tundra. Downsides, 2 weeks after i got it needed new battery,brakes,positive terminal, starter. I purchased the warranty which is a good idea. Seems like little things will go wrong on this truck, but nothing major. All in all great buy. I love the V6 good on gas, but not great. I average 10 mpg city 14 hwy.

Favorite Features

outside looks, and the drive comfort, most comfortable truck

Suggested Improvements

better rims, eeew.

Great Vehicle
By Nick

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It was my dads truck and he was meticulous about taking care of it and getting oil changes. Truck is spacious with a huge back seat. It goes to show, if you know how to drive and take care of a vehicle, you wont have problems.

Favorite Features

stereo, space, heated seats (great in iowa).

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy.

Pleasure
By Devine

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Very enjoyable to drive. Rides better than my wife's van even for a 4wheel drive truck. Very quiet. Had to replace a carrier bearing in the rear end after 70000 miles then had to replace a water pump at 84000 miles. The dealership has done all the work and they have treated me with kid gloves. Other than that the truck lives up to what its suppose to be.

Favorite Features

Enjoy the cabin size the folding rear seats . Great idea to lower the rear window all the way down.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and better placements of cup holders. Other than that they did a Quality job of building another Toyota Truck.

Number 1
By obucko

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I've ever had... No contest. Too bad they didn't continue making these. Zero mechanical problems and exterior finish still like new. Rides and drives like a car.

Favorite Features

handling, reliability

Suggested Improvements

none

Excellent truck!
By GB

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck for all around use (family, hauling, towing). Owned a Ford prior and there is no comparison - the Tundra is far superior quality, design and workmanship.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, sliding rear window, ample room front and back, ride quality is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy for the 4wd.

Most Versatile Vehicle I've ever owned
By Firemark

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this new in Jan 04. Two of my most fav features are the power rear window that goes all the way down and the rear flip/fold seats that give a big floor area for storage. I always get 14 to 15 MPG. Never had a mechanical issue but at same time always have dealer service. Very comfortable ride, more like a luxury car or convertible with all the windows down and moonroof fully open. I get 30,000 miles on front disc brakes and first set of tires. I bought Triple-Tread 60k replacements that look new after 29,000 miles. Still no rattles after 5 full years. Just the right size for a light duty truck. Big enough but not a monster.

Favorite Features

Flip & Fold rear seats that give lots of floor area for storing heavy or oversize cargo. Power rear window that goes all the way down.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seat element is too small, covering only the center portion of the seat bottom. In very cold conditions it's like sitting on a small hotplate surround by ice cubes. My only other wish would be for rear disc brakes... newer models too big for me!