Used 2004 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Is This The Best The Auto Industry Has?
By D. Richards

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased a new Toyota Tundra 4Dr. crew cab SR5 April 04. Pros: Very comfortable long distances and handles well on the freeways. And that is all I can say good about it. Cons: Under 1000 miles it started to howl at 45MPH, Toyota replaced the differential unit at 6000 miles but the howl remained unresolved. The EPA freeway is 18(16- 20). I have been lucky to get 15 MPG on near flat desert with cruise from gas station to gas station. Others have stated they get 19-21 in my area and some are 4x4s. We looked at all the crew trucks and read the reviews on them. We must say that the best in the industry has been disappointing. I expected better from Toyota, after all the testimonials.

The ride is smooth and comfortable on freeway trips. It handles well on the open road. Roll down rear window helps with temperature control in the summer.

Wish the rear seats were removable or did not take so much space in the cabin. Plastic cabin trim does not stay where intended. Turning radius needs to be smaller. More AC air flow in rear. Better fuel efficiency. Chromed steel front bumper. Substantial steel rear bumper. Roof insulation.

Nice Package
By hardtoplease

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Very roomy, quick, and good looking truck. My gas mileage seems to always be around 16 mpg. Very smooth ride. I feel it's the best truck out of all the top selling trucks. This is a truck I will keep for a while.

Back window and the powerful response when pressing the gas. With all the windows down is like having a convertable in the shade.

Where are the auto lights, and A/C? Truck wheel base does seem a little long. I can live it though.

Great Truck
By sneeky3

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love my tundra!! Great truck for hauling people and cargo!! Rides like a dream. Good sound system !!

Big sun roof, Horizontal sliding glass rear window, Sound system and roomy interior

Needs more power!! Also needs Climate control and auto lights.

A Good Work Truck
By tvrehas

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

The truck is solidly built and takes on construction sites with ease. The interior materials are top notch and the seats are very supportive. Though compared with other trucks the rear seat is tight and space to store items is scarce. Also, expected gas mileage on the highway to be better than 18 mpg.

Suspension system, radio, interior material quality.

Enlarge Cab to improve rear seat legroom, need space under rear seat, better gas mileage out of a V6.

Dallas Review
By Z

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

After looking at Dodge and Ford we agreed that the Toyota Tundra would be a better deal. Not financially, but overall including workmanship, resale value, size, comfort, amenities and visual appeal. Buying it one year used brought the price down right where it should be. I love the space, the smooth ride and the quiet interior. It doesn't have a great turning radius, but everything else is top notch. I plan to get the mileage out of this one. Just pricey.

Interior room (larger than our Suburban), the electric rear window and the extremely quiet ride.

16mpgs for a full size truck isn't bad, but I know they could do better.