Used 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Is This The Best The Auto Industry Has?
By D. Richards

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased a new Toyota Tundra 4Dr. crew cab SR5 April 04. Pros: Very comfortable long distances and handles well on the freeways. And that is all I can say good about it. Cons: Under 1000 miles it started to howl at 45MPH, Toyota replaced the differential unit at 6000 miles but the howl remained unresolved. The EPA freeway is 18(16- 20). I have been lucky to get 15 MPG on near flat desert with cruise from gas station to gas station. Others have stated they get 19-21 in my area and some are 4x4s. We looked at all the crew trucks and read the reviews on them. We must say that the best in the industry has been disappointing. I expected better from Toyota, after all the testimonials.

The ride is smooth and comfortable on freeway trips. It handles well on the open road. Roll down rear window helps with temperature control in the summer.

Wish the rear seats were removable or did not take so much space in the cabin. Plastic cabin trim does not stay where intended. Turning radius needs to be smaller. More AC air flow in rear. Better fuel efficiency. Chromed steel front bumper. Substantial steel rear bumper. Roof insulation.

Nice Package
By hardtoplease

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Very roomy, quick, and good looking truck. My gas mileage seems to always be around 16 mpg. Very smooth ride. I feel it's the best truck out of all the top selling trucks. This is a truck I will keep for a while.

Back window and the powerful response when pressing the gas. With all the windows down is like having a convertable in the shade.

Where are the auto lights, and A/C? Truck wheel base does seem a little long. I can live it though.

Great Truck
By sneeky3

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love my tundra!! Great truck for hauling people and cargo!! Rides like a dream. Good sound system !!

Big sun roof, Horizontal sliding glass rear window, Sound system and roomy interior

Needs more power!! Also needs Climate control and auto lights.

Dallas Review
By Z

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

After looking at Dodge and Ford we agreed that the Toyota Tundra would be a better deal. Not financially, but overall including workmanship, resale value, size, comfort, amenities and visual appeal. Buying it one year used brought the price down right where it should be. I love the space, the smooth ride and the quiet interior. It doesn't have a great turning radius, but everything else is top notch. I plan to get the mileage out of this one. Just pricey.

Interior room (larger than our Suburban), the electric rear window and the extremely quiet ride.

16mpgs for a full size truck isn't bad, but I know they could do better.

Almost Perfect
By coddarling

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 and I love it. 3,500 miles thus far and absolutely no regrets. It's the perfect size for me--I can throw my 3 kids in the back and enough gear in the bed for a family of 5--ski equipment, whatever, and go absolutely anywhere. (I have a retractable lockable bed cover, and it really completes the package.) Only two complaints: my truck has the TRD package, and the stock BF Goodrich "Rugged Trail" tires were terrible. Threw them away after 500 miles and put on BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A, a more appropriate choice for the TRD package. Also, I tried an after-market bug deflector but took it off due to wind noise. Maybe I'll try the Toyota part.

My favorite features are the design and build quality. The door seals, switchgear, and various levers and handles are rock solid and exude quality. The truck is screwed together tightly has ZERO squeaks or rattles. This is one solid truck, and it is whisper-quiet on the highway.

1. Better tires for TRD. 2. Better fuel economy--I barely get 15 on the highway. 3. Toyota should have a dashboard indicator light when fog lights are switched on. 4. Clock should be mounted higher on the dash. 5. 4WD switch is inconveniently located (too low and close to another switch.)