Used 2004 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Try it...You'll like it!
By DickGJ

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Very nice ride, smooth and quiet.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, power rear window, towing package, sound system, and quality build.

Suggested Improvements

At best, an illuminated cruise control, reposition the clock (too low), ability to override day-running lights, poor turning radius...gotta improve on that. I've been hunting and ran into trouble getting turned around with this beast! :-)

Style & Comfort
By joemuzz

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I loved it when I first saw it, and it went uphill from there! The optional leather captains chairs give great support and plenty of comfort. The numerous cup holders, pockets, and console storage bins and underseat tool storage areas are very convenient. The only down side is less than expected fuel economy. GREAT TRUCK!

Favorite Features

Storage, storage, storage!!

Suggested Improvements

HomeLink system, auto dimming R/V mirror, optional power sliding rear window (W/O buying Limited Edition), steering wheel radio controls

The Best Truck for the Buck ! ! !
By T-Man

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

With the moonroof and all the windows open (including the back window) I feel as though I'm in a convertible. Awesome! Great stereo, fun to drive. I've owned many GM products and this far out-shines them in value and reliability. Far fewer problems. American vehicles (Ford & GM) have a lot more features than Toyota. However, quality and workmanship of the Toyota product is superior to American vehicles.

Favorite Features

Style & design are beautiful. Very smooth ride. Great "pick-up" when passing other vehicles. All windows fully recess into the door. Sliding rear window. HUGE moonroof. 6-disc cd player w/ steering wheel controls is great. Very comfortable back seats. Locking tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius. 13-mpg at best. Cabin needs better lighting. All switches need to be lighted. Leather drivers seat is wearing on side where seat adjustments are positioned. A/C cfm could be stronger. More options on "LIMITED" package should be standard. Better "information" system would help.

The Good, The Bad and The Thirsty
By Mixed Feelings

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I should preface with this by saying I'm a car nut and scare people with my knowledge of cars and trucks. I looked at all of the full size pickups before deciding on the Tundra. It hasn't let me down but I'm getting tired of the $70 fill ups. The concept for the all new Tundra is a little scary. If you want a Tundra and can afford the gas get one now! FYI- the Double Cab has more headroom than the other Tundras. I had a 97 F150 and this thing blows it away. You can't beat Toyota trucks for resale either. I practically had to give my F150 away and I was glad to see it go.

Favorite Features

Excellent Ride and Handling for such a big truck. I always get compliments on how roomy it is- front and BACK!! The full sliding rear window is great. 8 cupholders!! Full 6 foot bed unlike F150 and Silverado Crew Cabs. Best in class interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Can you say HYBRID? Toyota- please give your customers better tires, the Dunlops were shot after 30000 miles. Make running boards standard- I didn't want them but I'm 6-4 and my average passenger isn't. I had to get them anyway and the dealer was useless- bought them online :( & 4 wheel steering!!

great truck
By George

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Toyota you just keep doing it!!!! I really enjoy driving this truck. low end torque is head snapping and as far as towing, it laughs at it load you want it to tow. If I must have a shortcoming about this truck I would say fuel economy at 14 miles to the gallon I wasn't much impressed. But don't let that stop you from owning one.

Favorite Features

power back window, the way all instruments are placed and how you can access most anything from the drivers seat

Suggested Improvements

just what I wrote above