Used 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

The Best Truck for the Buck ! ! !
By T-Man

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

With the moonroof and all the windows open (including the back window) I feel as though I'm in a convertible. Awesome! Great stereo, fun to drive. I've owned many GM products and this far out-shines them in value and reliability. Far fewer problems. American vehicles (Ford & GM) have a lot more features than Toyota. However, quality and workmanship of the Toyota product is superior to American vehicles.

Favorite Features

Style & design are beautiful. Very smooth ride. Great "pick-up" when passing other vehicles. All windows fully recess into the door. Sliding rear window. HUGE moonroof. 6-disc cd player w/ steering wheel controls is great. Very comfortable back seats. Locking tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius. 13-mpg at best. Cabin needs better lighting. All switches need to be lighted. Leather drivers seat is wearing on side where seat adjustments are positioned. A/C cfm could be stronger. More options on "LIMITED" package should be standard. Better "information" system would help.

The Good, The Bad and The Thirsty
By Mixed Feelings

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I should preface with this by saying I'm a car nut and scare people with my knowledge of cars and trucks. I looked at all of the full size pickups before deciding on the Tundra. It hasn't let me down but I'm getting tired of the $70 fill ups. The concept for the all new Tundra is a little scary. If you want a Tundra and can afford the gas get one now! FYI- the Double Cab has more headroom than the other Tundras. I had a 97 F150 and this thing blows it away. You can't beat Toyota trucks for resale either. I practically had to give my F150 away and I was glad to see it go.

Favorite Features

Excellent Ride and Handling for such a big truck. I always get compliments on how roomy it is- front and BACK!! The full sliding rear window is great. 8 cupholders!! Full 6 foot bed unlike F150 and Silverado Crew Cabs. Best in class interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Can you say HYBRID? Toyota- please give your customers better tires, the Dunlops were shot after 30000 miles. Make running boards standard- I didn't want them but I'm 6-4 and my average passenger isn't. I had to get them anyway and the dealer was useless- bought them online :( & 4 wheel steering!!

Best truck of 5 owned
By Sal

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Its the best truck of 5 that I've owned. Smooth, quiet, powerful, totally civilized. Perfect size for everyday use. The only draw back is that the floor is too high. Seating position is similar to a car and not a truck.

Favorite Features

Quiet. Smooth. Powerful. Sweet exhaust note. Roomy. Solid. quality.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Lower interior floor. Tailgate steel too thin.

Very Happy
By Fatcat300

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am very happy with my 04 tundra. It has great reliability, fun to drive. I was disappointed with the horsepower on the 04's but it still gets up and goes. I was happy to see that they ramped up the HP on the 05's. I am extremely happy with the redesigned cargo space in the bed and that is has a deeper design. I also enjoy the back window that rolls all the way down. All in all I have no complaints about this truck and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a well built, reliable, and economical truck.

Favorite Features

Overall inside interior design and space. Everything is in an arms reach and the push button 4WD is an easy feature for anyone to use.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and more tow capacity. Will tow most anything the average weekend adventurer will need.

Great Truck
By edw

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Rides like a sedan not a truck. Very quiet and nice options like moon roof, great stereo system.

Favorite Features

Electronic sliding rear window, sun roof and great stereo. Nice storage compartment under back seat.

Suggested Improvements

A 400000 dollar truck needs to have auto climate control and 110V oultet.