Used 2004 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

A good ride
By ajhasnow

2004 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have now owned 2 Tundras and loved both of them. Comfortable ride, extremely dependable, peppy when needed, Service regularly and it performs well. A little crowded for a family of 5 when traveling far, but all seats are comfortable for full sized adults. Smoothest ride in a 4 wheel drive truck I have been in.

Favorite Features

Simple display, plenty of gages, not lights, easy to drive. Radio features on the steering wheel. Love the back window drops completely into the back of the truck with an automatic button.

Suggested Improvements

Could make some buttons easier to reach when driving. Need to work on the lack of storage space in side of truck.

Great pickup
By grocers

2004 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This pickup has been dependable, trouble free transportation. Most of the miles have been highway for me. It is very comfortable on long drives and performs well in different weather conditions.

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable and controls are easily reachable.

Suggested Improvements

In my opinion the exterior style could be improved. Storage room under the back seat would be a great help.

Just a great truck
By Richard

2004 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I was happy with my 2002 Tundra, but it was an access cab and I needed the D-cap easier access. The 2004 I have is a TRD and the handling difference between that and my 2002 SR5 is remarkably better. Cabin ride is very quiet and comfort is quite nice on long trips. The only problem I had was a bad battery which the dealer quickly replaced free. Had the same problem twice with my 2002. I'm nearing 50K and have had perfect service and dependibility. Until 1988, I never drove a Toyota. Since then, it's nothing but Toyotas for our family. Can't wait for the 2007! Hope it's not too big!

Favorite Features

Simple dash and controls. Power rear window. Console storage. Back seat room and comfort. Double sun visors. Powerful headlights and foglamps. MPGs not bad either.

Suggested Improvements

Better radio/CD player. Better armrests (they are too small). Larger sunglass storage compartment above mirror. Better battery. MOST important, NEED much better AC for us desert people!

Performance and reliability
By stanley szczurko

2004 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent starting, road handling, and driving comfort during all seasons. never had mechanical problems. The only interior design flaw is the location of the windshield wiper control. I have accidently engaged it many times when making a turn.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the windshield wiper control. Relocate the cup holders. Their present location impairs access to dashboard controls. Replace the bedliner with one that is of anti-skid composition. Need more tie down hooks in bed area.

a year later...
By rick

2004 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I did lots of research before I bought it (used with 11,000mi) and there is no doubt the Tundra fits my needs the best. I have two carseats in the car (Thanks for the LATCH) and carry my MC in the bed. Having owned the car for a year. I'm quite satisfied and would recommend the car without hesitation. It is full of features and convencience items that makes it a great family car. However, there are a few things I am surprised Toyota missed. (For reference, previous cars include a 911,CR-V, Accord, 300Z, Explorer, Mustang...)

Favorite Features

The off-road pkg is great if you actually go off-roading. But with an empty bed on public roads, it's very bouncy. The engine has tons of torque, thus on a 2WD with an empty bed and multi- purpose tires, it's very easy to spin the wheels. Unfortunately selecting 2nd gear does not bypass 1st gear.

Suggested Improvements

The brakes are just lousy. Poor initial bite, no feel and some fading. Locations of pwr window buttons are awkward. Cruise control not on steering wheel. Door armrests end too far forward, leaving my elbow hanging. Cheap weather strips for door windows. No LATCH on rear, right seat.