Used 2004 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

I love my truck
By tlabrook

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Able to pull a trailer with 2 horses with no problems. Hauls better than the dodge 1500('01) then we had before. Fun to drive. Comfortable.I love the cupholders the are right within reach

Favorite Features

I love the stepside. The taillights are different.

Suggested Improvements

As of 3000 miles and 4 months I do not have any suggestions

I wish I could afford to drive it.
By 4jblund

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is the nicest pickup I've ever driven and really enjoy driving it. I just wish I could afford to drive it more. It gets real bad gas mileage (16mpg) is the best I've achieved so far. I'm guessing Toyota put the 4.08 rearend in it to compensate for the less horsepower than the competition. They could have improved this by putting more horses in the motor (I've seen the racing cars, I know they can) then put a 3.50-3.73 rear in it. If I were pulling something big I wouldn't have bought it, I would have gone diesel. They aren't catering to their buyers. It does what I wanted just the mileage is sad.

Favorite Features

Toyota reliability, the reason I still love it anyway.

Suggested Improvements

As I've already stated, give it some more horses, then change that rearend ratio to something more roadworthy.

Great truck - poor front seat
By alfomega

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Tundra. My 2001, with ABS, skidded on a wet curve when I braked, and was totaled (I was hit by a Camry doing 50 - 60 mph and walked home!) This time I got the Vehicle Stability Control package, along with the Double Cab. I just love this vehicle (and I'm almost 60). I get 17.5 miles to a gallon in mixed city/freeway driving, but I drive sensibly - gas is $2.20 a gal. The driver's seat seems worse than the '01, though. The initial shifting also appears jerkier.

Favorite Features

The smooth, noiseless ride. The best fuel economy of the big trucks. The SAFETY of the Tundra!

Suggested Improvements

A more ergonomic driver's seat and a smoother shifting tranny - and this would be a dream ride.

My Tundra
By Al Sulsona

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Toyota Tundra has been the BEST Vehicle I have ever owned!!!! Ford, Chevy or Dodge can not hold a candle to its performance, workmanship and above all its reliability. I have owned Ford Chevy and Dodge and I am sorry to say that they have a long way to go before they can produce a vehicle that will not fall apart with in a few years. Let me make it clear, I DO NOT ABUSE my vehicles, I guess all I'm trying to say is that our domestic trucks may be beautiful machines but they just don't hold up!! Sorry for being so honest. I'm just sharing my experience as a consumer.

Favorite Features

The Tundra is just well built all around.

Suggested Improvements

non at this moment.

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This...
By DaveinCarolina

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

2-word summarization: DEPENDABILITY & RELIABILITY! Of course the Tundra's Gotta have it factor also played a major roll as well. ANY vehicle you look at, has to have a certain "look" which simply makes you want that vehicle. The Tundra has TONS of this! In fact, we've only owned our Tundra for just about a month and I STILL catch myself standing in the garage just looking at the truck, or worse, just sitting in it! I NEVER thought a truck could ride this good and be this quite even with the TRD package! There's PLENTY of room for my over 6' frame. EVEN IN THE BACK SEAT! The most comfortable we tested! Owning a 95 Tacoma with 122K didnít hurt either!

Favorite Features

DEPENDABILITY & RELIABILITY: The Toyota name speaks for itself! Exceptional looks, including interior fit & finish! High resale value! WONDERFULLY designed electronic rear window: Why didn't any of the other manufacturers think of this before now? Oh well; their loss, our gain!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is pretty disappointing, even though it is the best of all 5 brands of full-size trucks; but then again, it "IS" a full size pick-up! The limited models are a bit pricey for what you get.