2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Buyer Beware
By pmaqua on 03/17/07 09:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Although this is a great driving and good looking truck, after just 3 years and 64000 miles it is falling apart. It is driven as a family car and is not used as a contractor's truck. 1st the overdrive sending unit went out at 61000. Next the limit slip differential broke after driving from a parking spot over a curb. Now the tranny is going! We bought a 100K bumper to bumper extended warranty from the dealer - NOT WORTH THE PAPER IT IS PRINTED ON!! I have had to pay for all repairs. So far over $3000. P.S. POOR gas mileage and eats tires - on 3rd set. Also on 3rd set of brake pads.

SIlver Hoss
By SIlver on 12/03/06 03:34 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Very becoming lines. Sits high on 17 inch wheels/Michelins with heavy duty tow package. 2 wheel drive with stability control (like positraction). Great towing power, traction and stability in a 2 wheel drive. Ride is firm and well-dampened. Feels great fully loaded, towing, and empty. Excellent interior appointments. Very high build quality.

The Good, The Bad and The Thirsty
By Mixed Feelings on 09/08/05 02:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I should preface with this by saying I'm a car nut and scare people with my knowledge of cars and trucks. I looked at all of the full size pickups before deciding on the Tundra. It hasn't let me down but I'm getting tired of the $70 fill ups. The concept for the all new Tundra is a little scary. If you want a Tundra and can afford the gas get one now! FYI- the Double Cab has more headroom than the other Tundras. I had a 97 F150 and this thing blows it away. You can't beat Toyota trucks for resale either. I practically had to give my F150 away and I was glad to see it go.

Best truck of 5 owned
By Sal on 08/26/05 00:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Its the best truck of 5 that I've owned. Smooth, quiet, powerful, totally civilized. Perfect size for everyday use. The only draw back is that the floor is too high. Seating position is similar to a car and not a truck.

"Oh" What a Feeling!!
By oaklandathletic on 05/21/05 16:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I looked all around to purchase a truck. I have has Chevrolet's all my life. This Toyota is my first and I love it. I will be forever a Toyota owner. This truck is a joy to drive. The power is good enough for my comute 100 mile round trip. I love the body style. The JBL upgrade stero is very good.If your on the fence on which to buy Toyota is the complete all around package. This truck ROCKS!! Buy one you will like it!!

Is This The Best The Auto Industry Has?
By D. Richards on 05/01/05 20:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased a new Toyota Tundra 4Dr. crew cab SR5 April 04. Pros: Very comfortable long distances and handles well on the freeways. And that is all I can say good about it. Cons: Under 1000 miles it started to howl at 45MPH, Toyota replaced the differential unit at 6000 miles but the howl remained unresolved. The EPA freeway is 18(16- 20). I have been lucky to get 15 MPG on near flat desert with cruise from gas station to gas station. Others have stated they get 19-21 in my area and some are 4x4s. We looked at all the crew trucks and read the reviews on them. We must say that the best in the industry has been disappointing. I expected better from Toyota, after all the testimonials.

Nice Package
By hardtoplease on 03/22/05 22:45 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Very roomy, quick, and good looking truck. My gas mileage seems to always be around 16 mpg. Very smooth ride. I feel it's the best truck out of all the top selling trucks. This is a truck I will keep for a while.

Dallas Review
By Z on 03/02/05 16:03 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

After looking at Dodge and Ford we agreed that the Toyota Tundra would be a better deal. Not financially, but overall including workmanship, resale value, size, comfort, amenities and visual appeal. Buying it one year used brought the price down right where it should be. I love the space, the smooth ride and the quiet interior. It doesn't have a great turning radius, but everything else is top notch. I plan to get the mileage out of this one. Just pricey.

From Access cab to Double cab
By Bob Jordan on 12/14/04 10:57 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

In July 2003 we traded an 02 Accord EX-L for an 03 Tundra Access cab. Our children in car seats would just barely fit and the back of the rear seat was almost straight up. Last July the 4X4 03 had 5500 miles and listed for $30,300. We traded for a 2X2 04 double cab that listed for $29,600 and paid $4100 out the door. The dealer put about $24,000 in our old truck and so far still has it on their lot (over 5 months) So far I do not miss the 4X4 and could not be better satisfied. The truck is quiet, smooth and tough. There is plenty of bed space as well as rear seat room. The windshield wiper motor is too loud and the air direction controls seem kinda clunky. Otherwise no complaints.

Fantastic!
By SMOKEATR on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I switched from a Dodge to this rig and I LOVE IT...Its a phenominal truck all around.