Used 2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Buyer Beware
By pmaqua

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Although this is a great driving and good looking truck, after just 3 years and 64000 miles it is falling apart. It is driven as a family car and is not used as a contractor's truck. 1st the overdrive sending unit went out at 61000. Next the limit slip differential broke after driving from a parking spot over a curb. Now the tranny is going! We bought a 100K bumper to bumper extended warranty from the dealer - NOT WORTH THE PAPER IT IS PRINTED ON!! I have had to pay for all repairs. So far over $3000. P.S. POOR gas mileage and eats tires - on 3rd set. Also on 3rd set of brake pads.

Favorite Features

Good looks, driveability, roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Chrome front bumpers.

SIlver Hoss
By SIlver

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Very becoming lines. Sits high on 17 inch wheels/Michelins with heavy duty tow package. 2 wheel drive with stability control (like positraction). Great towing power, traction and stability in a 2 wheel drive. Ride is firm and well-dampened. Feels great fully loaded, towing, and empty. Excellent interior appointments. Very high build quality.

Favorite Features

Build quality. Lexus quality V-8. Sliding rear window, moonroof, high quality sound, towing confidence, large footprint. Twin DVD players connect it with non-truck owners as a modern, well appointed vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Smaller turning radius. Better mileage. Special incentive for supercharger.

The Good, The Bad and The Thirsty
By Mixed Feelings

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I should preface with this by saying I'm a car nut and scare people with my knowledge of cars and trucks. I looked at all of the full size pickups before deciding on the Tundra. It hasn't let me down but I'm getting tired of the $70 fill ups. The concept for the all new Tundra is a little scary. If you want a Tundra and can afford the gas get one now! FYI- the Double Cab has more headroom than the other Tundras. I had a 97 F150 and this thing blows it away. You can't beat Toyota trucks for resale either. I practically had to give my F150 away and I was glad to see it go.

Favorite Features

Excellent Ride and Handling for such a big truck. I always get compliments on how roomy it is- front and BACK!! The full sliding rear window is great. 8 cupholders!! Full 6 foot bed unlike F150 and Silverado Crew Cabs. Best in class interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Can you say HYBRID? Toyota- please give your customers better tires, the Dunlops were shot after 30000 miles. Make running boards standard- I didn't want them but I'm 6-4 and my average passenger isn't. I had to get them anyway and the dealer was useless- bought them online :( & 4 wheel steering!!

Best truck of 5 owned
By Sal

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Its the best truck of 5 that I've owned. Smooth, quiet, powerful, totally civilized. Perfect size for everyday use. The only draw back is that the floor is too high. Seating position is similar to a car and not a truck.

Favorite Features

Quiet. Smooth. Powerful. Sweet exhaust note. Roomy. Solid. quality.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Lower interior floor. Tailgate steel too thin.

"Oh" What a Feeling!!
By oaklandathletic

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I looked all around to purchase a truck. I have has Chevrolet's all my life. This Toyota is my first and I love it. I will be forever a Toyota owner. This truck is a joy to drive. The power is good enough for my comute 100 mile round trip. I love the body style. The JBL upgrade stero is very good.If your on the fence on which to buy Toyota is the complete all around package. This truck ROCKS!! Buy one you will like it!!

Favorite Features

I love the rear power window. The sunroof is off the chart. It comes with so many standard features that other brands make you pay for. The head room is good cuz i'm 6' 7" and have lots of room to roam.

Suggested Improvements

the seats could be a little better. I fill the captain chair. other than that it's a great Truck!!!!!!