2003 Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8 4-speed Automatic 6.2 ft. Bed Consumer Review - The Perfect Pickup Truck

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Review

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The Perfect Pickup Truck
By John on

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Never repaired in 59,000 miles, fits in a standard garage w/ walk-around room, quieter than most cars, powerful, great towing capacity, 18-20 mpg driven gently on Michelin tires and Amsoil 2000, amazing paint job, outstanding seats - more comfortable than my wife's Lexus. I towed a 5500 lb trailer all over Colorado and came down every pass except the single steepest one in the state. Did it in first gear hardly ever touching the brakes. 10-10.5 mpg towing @ 55. Burns zero oil in one year (13,000 miles). Be sure to change diff fluid. Mine had some metal shavings determined to be from mfg, not wear. Better than other trucks.

Favorite Features

Size - I'm never selling because it's no longer available. Quiet cabin, seat comfort, gas mileage, reliability, exc A/C, driving stability, payload, towing capacity, 2WD ground clearance (10 inches), smooth controls. I had a neighbor who kept his Chev pickup over 20 years. I plan to do the same.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother ride, make limited slip and floor mats standard. Smoother shifts on very light acceleration. 1-2 is a little abrupt. Visibility to rear - all pickups need rear camera. Spring assist tailgate.