2003 Toyota Tundra Consumer Review: Bad paint, no comfort, Good dr

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Review

SR5 Access Cab (4.7L V8 4-speed Automatic 6.2 ft. Bed)

Bad paint, no comfort, Good drivetrain.
By canucksca on

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased truck July 2003. List of problems I have had with this vehicle: 1) Rear seals on back of X-tra cab fixed due to rain water entering cab. 2) Fuel filler tube replaced because Check Engine light kept coming on. 3) Paint on driver's side door wore away and I had the entire door and front of the X-tra cab repainted at local body shop. Dealer agreed to pay for 1/2 of the repair. I declined offer, as I suspect there will be future problems with this. Other paint (salsa red pearl) peeling off of truck. 4) Factory Dunlop tires horrible. 5) X- tra cab uncomfortable. Not up to the standard for a Toyota. Marginal city MPG. Drivetrain excellent so far.

Favorite Features

Lexus drivetrain is awesome. Responsive V-8. Drives smooth for a truck. With a tonneau cover on back, mileage has been between 18 and 19MPG on highway trips, otherwise MPG is between 13-15 in town. Nice loud stereo. Hauling performance is average+ but stack load near cab to avoid "floating".

Suggested Improvements

Paint is substandard and should be a service bulletin/recall issue. Backseat is vertical and horrible. The tires will wear out faster than they should and I don't hot rod at all. Wish I had waited for the double cab Tacoma or Tundra. Final assembly in Indiana and it shows. Not Japanese quality.