Bad paint, no comfort, Good drivetrain.
By canucksca on
2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)
Purchased truck July 2003. List of problems I have had with this vehicle: 1) Rear seals on back of X-tra cab fixed due to rain water entering cab. 2) Fuel filler tube replaced because Check Engine light kept coming on. 3) Paint on driver's side door wore away and I had the entire door and front of the X-tra cab repainted at local body shop. Dealer agreed to pay for 1/2 of the repair. I declined offer, as I suspect there will be future problems with this. Other paint (salsa red pearl) peeling off of truck. 4) Factory Dunlop tires horrible. 5) X- tra cab uncomfortable. Not up to the standard for a Toyota. Marginal city MPG. Drivetrain excellent so far.
Favorite Features
Lexus drivetrain is awesome. Responsive V-8. Drives smooth for a truck. With a tonneau cover on back, mileage has been between 18 and 19MPG on highway trips, otherwise MPG is between 13-15 in town. Nice loud stereo. Hauling performance is average+ but stack load near cab to avoid "floating".
Suggested Improvements
Paint is substandard and should be a service bulletin/recall issue. Backseat is vertical and horrible. The tires will wear out faster than they should and I don't hot rod at all. Wish I had waited for the double cab Tacoma or Tundra. Final assembly in Indiana and it shows. Not Japanese quality.