Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Tough to beat
By rdambroso

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The only strike in my mind, is the back seats. They are almost 90 degrees straight up. I am also not crazy about the suicide doors. I believe the 05 and newer corrected both issues... so it's now the perfect truck!

Favorite Features

Reliable, nice looks, simple. I've always thought a truck should have almost an Amish level of humility in it's looks. The Tundra is just a plain old simple great truck

Suggested Improvements

Backseat, more of an incline. No suicide doors. I understand they have both been corrected in later models. Also, had to do front brakes and tires at 28K... what's up with that?

Excellent Truck
By Mat

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Great reliable truck thats been in the family since new. Bought it off of my father, who just puchased a new Tundra. There has been no problems what so ever, as this truck has served my father right. Great design exterior/interior. Good solid truck.

Favorite Features

Overall performance that has been put out by its powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

None that comes to mind

'03 Tundra
By W. Clements

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Toyota truck (first was a Tacoma) and I am not as pleased as I hoped. The vehicle required new front brakes at 30,000 (I don't tow or use it for work), one rear brake froze up at 25,000 miles (my Jeep and Fords didn't do this so the climate can't e blamed), paint seems to chip easily, and the steel wheels started rusting after the first winter. Worse is a constant noise in the front drive train that the dealer can't diagnose and has been little to no help in resolving. This is my last Toyota; I could have spent much less on another brand and thought I was avoiding these types of problems with a new vehicle.

Favorite Features

Drives and handles very well, more like a car than truck. Plenty of power and acceleration for normal driving. Great in snow.

Suggested Improvements

The access cab back seat seems comfortable but there is no leg room for most adults. Another 6 inches in the back would have made a huge difference, and I wouldn't mind it coming out of the bed. Paint durability is problematic and could be improved. Interior lighting is poor (dome).

LOTS OF POWER
By Curtis

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Hauled firewood, dirt, gravel, etc. std shocks are weak. Should upgrade to heavy duty if hauling heavy loads. Overall happy with truck. Keep up with tranny maintenance. 2003 and up take ATF 4 only sold by toyota at 4+ a quart. Takes about 6-7 quarts every 30k mi. As far as backseat room, I have had a 350lb women and a 200lb man and they were comfy. ENJOY!

Favorite Features

strong engine 4.7L, good looks

Suggested Improvements

shocks, better paint, tranny fluid to be available at local retail stores

2003 Tundra
By Dan King

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven my Tundra under a variety of conditions. For highway driving, the Tundra handles like a car and the V-8 engine gives you acceleration on request. In winter conditions, the Tundra is nimble when maneuvering through snow covered roads. Like any machine, the Tundra has a few weaknesses. The braking is good but you will encounter pulsation with a quick slow down. The vehicle is hard on fuel, particularly if driven fast or when towing. For the most part, I am pleased with the truck. Although full size, the Tundra is a little more compact than North American pick-up trucks. Combine this with car like handling, and it makes the Tundra an ease to drive.

Favorite Features

The Tundra double wishbone suspension provides excellent vibration isolation for the cab of the truck. When driving over potholes or ripples in the road, you can hear the tire action in the bumps but feel practically nothing at the wheel. The V-8 engine is a powerhouse and the powertrain responsive

Suggested Improvements

Braking - Back seat of extended cab should be larger - Fuel economy - OEM Mudflap length (too short)