Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Not what they used to be...
By RickThompson2

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck brand new in march of '02. I heard good things in the past about toyota but soon found they couldnt handle the load of a worktruck like an american pickup. Paid 26,500 for my SR5 4x4 V8.. bad decision. While traveling though new mexico at 4800 miles my axle wentt bad in the rear, started to whine and went out, had to be towed.. at 28000 my transfer case wouldnt shift into 4x4 and started to grind, left me stranded in the mud looking like a fool, it was defective, my stereo soon went out, along with my passenger window.. im no complainer so i overlooked all those ridiculous problems, then at 42k my brakes failed and at 75k my tranny was slipping like ive never seen.

not sure.. the 4x4 was good after it was repaired.. ok looking truck, still not up to par with the beasts out of detroit.

quality control, needs more power, couldnt pull my 8k trailer up tehachapi doing more than 15mph, put a new tranny in it.. just too many problems for a truck of that price.. sold it for 14k in 2005 and bought a chevy, best choice i made.

Excellent All-Round Truck
By chichitao

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This has been an excellent truck. Bought it brand new in 3/03 and have not had it in for any kind of repairs what-so-ever. I have used it for all sorts of things...around town, travelling long distances, hauling light and heavy loads. No problems with the paint as others have mentioned...however, I keep mine in the garage when possible and wax it at least twice per year. The gas mileage, while not great compared to a car, is better than any truck or even SUV i've ever had. I avg 16mpg, and that is mostly city driving (range is 13-21). Excellent build quality and ride from a truck. Take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you!

Power is great in this truck, good for hauling or passing. I love the size of it and the looks. Its big enough for me, but isn't massive like most other truck makers. This is an almost perfect truck in my opinion.

Some complain about the back seats...they are small but you could tell that when you bought it. Its perfect for me b/c I use that space as cargo space. Interior is a little bland, but as one user stated he prefers the Amish look for a truck...i agree. Trucks arent meant to be pretty!

At 32k mi, this is what I have to say
By Mister_T

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Owned since aug 03 and now at end of lease term. Chose to keep. I'll skip what has been covered. Turn radius is awful, 45 feet... takes 4 and a half lanes to make a U turn. Still just too small. Add 5 more inches it will make a world of diff. Gas mileage on my v6 is not very good. Very comfortable. I use for long hwy trips and never need to stop to stretch. A serious work truck? Yes. Work truck capabilities? No. Styling on 03 looks too imported. Paint not too good. V6 is SLOW! No mech probs. No chk eng. No plastic parts falling off. As good as it gets.

Comfy w/ cap chairs. I like suicide doors. Height above ground is very good. Smooth ride. Actually handles well on windy mtn rds. Crossed a river and engine continued to run! Storage space is great w/ console. Fun. Fuel tank decent size despite poor mileage. Interior well laid out. Nice big buttons.

Turning circle, HP on V6 bad. Go back to previous body/grill style. Better A/C, Make a v8 with 5 spd manual. Make an access or crew cab with 8 ft bed. Add a few inches.

Toyota Tundra 2003
By Edward Oncken

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Driving and ownership experience is without complaint. The Tundra handles well and drives easily. My experience as an owner is such that I would consider a Toyota Tundra again when I am ready to purchase again. I have not had a bad experience with this vehicle. I do think that the interior design should allow for more room in the rear passenger area. The leg room is too cramped. The front is comfortable but I would like for the driver's seat to move backward more than it does; however, it is OK.

It's reliability and gas mileage is the very definite plus.

I would suggest the cab area be enlarged. The rear passenger in particularly. It is entirely too cramped for any distance driving.

Great truck!
By Ken

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It is the most comfortable truck I ever owned! The power from the 4.7 V8 is the most UNREAL powerhouse I have ever seen! The only thing I don't like is the quality of the seats. The foam inside the seat feels cheap and seems to feel worn out prematurely.

The powerful V8. It feels like a Hemi

Stiffer foam in the seats. Little more leg room for the passenger on the Access Cab model.

• SUV