Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Most Helpful|
malfunction indicator came on twice
By mingsterca

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The malfunction indicator light came on 3 days after I bought it - only 100 miles. The manual says - send the truck to dealership. This is very bad error message. Then a bit more details in the manual describes the possible cause by loose fuel cap. Sent it to the dealership next day, and have them check the computer codes in the truck. They says the same thing. Reset the error codes and have the mechanics tighten the cap for me. The next day driving to work, the indicator came on again. A lemon?

Suggested Improvements

improve the reliability

Not what they used to be...
By RickThompson2

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck brand new in march of '02. I heard good things in the past about toyota but soon found they couldnt handle the load of a worktruck like an american pickup. Paid 26,500 for my SR5 4x4 V8.. bad decision. While traveling though new mexico at 4800 miles my axle wentt bad in the rear, started to whine and went out, had to be towed.. at 28000 my transfer case wouldnt shift into 4x4 and started to grind, left me stranded in the mud looking like a fool, it was defective, my stereo soon went out, along with my passenger window.. im no complainer so i overlooked all those ridiculous problems, then at 42k my brakes failed and at 75k my tranny was slipping like ive never seen.

Favorite Features

not sure.. the 4x4 was good after it was repaired.. ok looking truck, still not up to par with the beasts out of detroit.

Suggested Improvements

quality control, needs more power, couldnt pull my 8k trailer up tehachapi doing more than 15mph, put a new tranny in it.. just too many problems for a truck of that price.. sold it for 14k in 2005 and bought a chevy, best choice i made.

BACK to GM NEXT TIME
By jovo

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck leans to one side,Bed misaligned with Cab, Toyota Factory Rep. claims it is "Normal Variation In Manufacturing Tolerances". I think they repaired the one they used in the "Rhino" comercial on TV or dropped it off the car transporter and then sold it to me. Transmisson can't decide which gear it wants to be in. Noisiest brakes I have ever had. Cheep cloth interior. Jittery ride, Noisy, Gas mileage much worse than stated on window sticker, Uncomfortable Captain's chairs and driving position. Chippy paint, I only rated it a One because a ZERO was not a option. Not a real Truck. A poor excuse for a $30,000+ window sticker.

Favorite Features

None I have found other than the warranty which I expect I will need.

Suggested Improvements

Take the ball off the antenna and improve everything below it

Bad Choice
By cru_fan

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this because it got good reviews. Bad call. My buddy just bought a Dodge and was telling me how happy he was with it. I almost thought about getting one, but people said good things about the Toyota Tundra. I've had to go back to the dealer for work 3 times already. In addition, it doesn't hand wear and tear at all. At this point, I am really thinking about getting rid of it, taking the loss and getting the Dodge or the Ford. Stay away from this one. It's built cheap and requires way too much maintenence.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. It's the one thing I like about this truck. But then again, i don't buy a truck simply for that. I want something that I can do work with. I can't with this truck.

Suggested Improvements

More power. More body configurations. Better quality.

Needs much improvement
By Barry

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck is a 2000. Many quiet recalls. . Wrong dip stick, Replaced rear shocks, CD player. Trans shifting, security system, and rear door problems. Really bad brakes. Still not fixed after 2 + years. Weak low-end torque. Fair fuel economy. Too soft a real work truck. Not designed for recreation either. Useless rear seat. Weak bumpers. Trans is cold blooded. Up shifts too soon when cold. Too much tappet noise for a new truck. Rear door mechanism needs work. Not a serious truck. Don't be suckered in by resale figures, or reliability ratings, or sales hype. Buy one of the big three or a Tacoma would be a better choice.

Favorite Features

Straight forward layout under the hood. Generally good ride. Smaller size than the other trucks.

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE DAM BRAKES! Needs four wheel anti lock disc brakes. More engine and accessory choices. A more powerfull V8 to start with. A rear seat you can actully use. A Club Cab version like the Ford Sort Trac. Stiffen the rear springs. Make the Tundra a good mid size truck.