Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Most Helpful|
TUNDRA
By MNU

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The Tundra Access Cab V8 may not have that great gas milage, but the looks and power bring you to a whole new driving experience. I love it and will always buy TOYOTA!

Favorite Features

V8 Engine and Handling

Suggested Improvements

More room for access cab passengers. Improve gas mileage.

Tundra review
By wadester

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck used with 46,000 miles on it. Great truck, build quality is excellent like all Toyota products. Fuel mileage was 16 in town added an AFE cold air intake and now get 18-19 in town and 21-22 mpg on hiway. I also run synthetic oil in engine as well as both differentials. The only complaint I have is the access doors are inconvenient would have been much better design to have them open like a regular door. Maybe next time I will buy the double cab. Double cab not offered in 2003.

Favorite Features

Great stereo like the 6 disc changer, more than enough cup holders, seats are comfortable, and nice storage compartments under rear seat, locking tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a bench seat in front, offer a standard transmission. I looked for a standard and could not find one. Make access doors if you buy extended cab open like a regular door.

130,000 and Going Strong
By George L.

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

WOW...I'll never buy another brand! This truck is phenomenal! Hands down the best vehicle we have ever owned! Our Toyota Sienna ain't bad either by the way! This truck has just over 130k and I am not joking, NO MAJOR REPAIRS...Tires, Light Bulbs, Belts, Hoses and Oil, THAT"S IT! Also...18 + mpg around Houston Texas, and I'm not lying! I had a Toyota approved cold air intake installed at the dealer before I took it home. Well done Toyota!

Tundra: Built like a Rock!
By leezjosh

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my truck in August of 2003. Currently has 150,000 miles. It has NEVER refused to start or break down on the road. The only complaint is due to a worn rear bearing, which is somewhat due to wear and tear. Acceleration is very good, leaps ahead of the crowd at stoplights. Very comfy and ergonomically correct interior. Cloth is plushy. Exterior paint is too thin and chips easily. Bumper is not very strong compared to previous Chevy 1500 bumper (Front and Rear) but adequate.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, reliability, camry-like interior.

Suggested Improvements

The paint needs to be thick like the domestic trucks and the bumpers need to be much stronger. However, a stronger bumper may increase chances of whiplash in a car accident.

So Far So Good
By fteter

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tundra Access Cab with the LTD trim package and the leather seats new in 2003. 2wd with Limited Slip Differential. So the truck is 12 years old with 130,000 miles on it as I write this. So far so good. Still comfortable, still reliable, still runs like new, carries or tows whatever I throw at it. Did change out the timing belt and water pump at 90,000 miles, but only because Toyota's maintenance schedule recommend it - no issues. Expect another decade from this truck.

Favorite Features

Strong transmission. Simple, elegant interior styling. Very comfortable front seats. Excellent acceleration and power. Smooth ride, especially for a truck. And quiet...blocks out external noises very well. And the best part...never, ever, ever fails to start and perform. With the Limited Slip Differential, I can handle offroading well. Not rock crawling, but basic offroading. Have even pulled a few 4wd vehicles out of trouble ;) Recently took the truck on a cross-country vacation. Never worried. Not a single issue...not even a funny noise. 12 years out - still runs like new.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota painted this truck with water color paint. Very thin coat, easily scratched or chipped. It may need a paint job within the next two or three years. The front brake rotors are a bit overmatched by the weight of the truck. I went to cryogenically frozen Brembo rotors - harder surface, lasting much longer between rotor turns. Not much comfort in the rear seats of the Access Cab. Good for infants and small children, but not much else. Minor nits for the most part. All suggested improvements aside, love this truck!