Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Limited Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

ZZAAAP
By LYNNETTE ALLISON

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Be sure the battery in the truck will hold a charge before you leave the dealership.

270000 and still towing 5000lbs+
By Brian

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I got my tundra used for a pricey $9000 from a toyota dealer. It had 230000 miles on it and drove like new. Never had the suspension replaced and it still settles instantly after bumps. The rear suspension was a bit weak for loads so I bought larger bottom out guards and I'm they keep my ride level while towing and with full loads. Tows my travel 23 ft travel trailer and it could have more power but I can't ask much of its 7000 load max. I do all my matinance on the truck myself and it is very easy to work on. Lots of space and so far I've only had to do matinance of filters and fluids. Except for the center drive shaft bearing which its rubber mounts were ripped and sagging. It was easly fixed by replacing with a used drive shaft from a parts yard for understanding $100, of course I did it myself and didn't have to pay for shop time. It's been to burning man once and was used as a work truck there, and cleaned up nicely. I have a performance computer, a tow computer and a dash cam. I get great mpg even while towing for a v8. The tailgate latch just broke on my because so much dust got in the mechanismshop it froze and instead of lubing ithe I just went hard and broke the plastic handle right off! Of course now it works great since I lubed it but that's a bumer, the truck was immaculate before that. The limited interior is great and the speaker are great sounding. I have to use a cassette auxiliary adapter so it messes with my quality a bit but it's all good. Drives like new, looks cute and sexy while still keeping a sence of beastly truck. I love dews truck and intend to reach 300000 with no problems. Daily driver as of now but soon I will have a little car for small things.

So Far So Good
By fteter

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tundra Access Cab with the LTD trim package and the leather seats new in 2003. 2wd with Limited Slip Differential. So the truck is 12 years old with 130,000 miles on it as I write this. So far so good. Still comfortable, still reliable, still runs like new, carries or tows whatever I throw at it. Did change out the timing belt and water pump at 90,000 miles, but only because Toyota's maintenance schedule recommend it - no issues. Expect another decade from this truck.

Strong transmission. Simple, elegant interior styling. Very comfortable front seats. Excellent acceleration and power. Smooth ride, especially for a truck. And quiet...blocks out external noises very well. And the best part...never, ever, ever fails to start and perform. With the Limited Slip Differential, I can handle offroading well. Not rock crawling, but basic offroading. Have even pulled a few 4wd vehicles out of trouble ;) Recently took the truck on a cross-country vacation. Never worried. Not a single issue...not even a funny noise. 12 years out - still runs like new.

Toyota painted this truck with water color paint. Very thin coat, easily scratched or chipped. It may need a paint job within the next two or three years. The front brake rotors are a bit overmatched by the weight of the truck. I went to cryogenically frozen Brembo rotors - harder surface, lasting much longer between rotor turns. Not much comfort in the rear seats of the Access Cab. Good for infants and small children, but not much else. Minor nits for the most part. All suggested improvements aside, love this truck!

Tundra Limited Best of the Best
By porsche

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is everything I wanted in a
full sized pickup. It has plenty of
power, and the tan leather interior is
beautiful, matching the interior of many
luxury cars. I would buy it again.

The engine power, strong air conditioner, and the radio controls on the steering wheel. Also the styling is so much better than the Nissan Titan, which is pretty ugly.

It would be nicer if it had automatic climate controls, and if the optional rearview mirror would let me see both outside temperature and compass direction at the same time, rather than having to select one or the other.

Tundra Access Cab Limited
By Steve H.S.

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall it's an excellent vehicle, with
mileage a bit low but expected to be
such (averaging 16 mpg). After 15,000
miles, I've had no maintenance
problems. Smooth ride, great brakes.
The bed is plenty big, but the back
seat is too cramped for anyone to ride
in.

All the creature comforts for the driver and front passenger; the smooth ride; the bed, for the dog & boards & supplies & on & on & on.

Make the bed 2 inches shorter, giving the rear seat the extra 2 inches. Vertical sliding rear window on Access Cab models.