Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

So Far So Good
By fteter

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tundra Access Cab with the LTD trim package and the leather seats new in 2003. 2wd with Limited Slip Differential. So the truck is 12 years old with 130,000 miles on it as I write this. So far so good. Still comfortable, still reliable, still runs like new, carries or tows whatever I throw at it. Did change out the timing belt and water pump at 90,000 miles, but only because Toyota's maintenance schedule recommend it - no issues. Expect another decade from this truck.

Favorite Features

Strong transmission. Simple, elegant interior styling. Very comfortable front seats. Excellent acceleration and power. Smooth ride, especially for a truck. And quiet...blocks out external noises very well. And the best part...never, ever, ever fails to start and perform. With the Limited Slip Differential, I can handle offroading well. Not rock crawling, but basic offroading. Have even pulled a few 4wd vehicles out of trouble ;) Recently took the truck on a cross-country vacation. Never worried. Not a single issue...not even a funny noise. 12 years out - still runs like new.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota painted this truck with water color paint. Very thin coat, easily scratched or chipped. It may need a paint job within the next two or three years. The front brake rotors are a bit overmatched by the weight of the truck. I went to cryogenically frozen Brembo rotors - harder surface, lasting much longer between rotor turns. Not much comfort in the rear seats of the Access Cab. Good for infants and small children, but not much else. Minor nits for the most part. All suggested improvements aside, love this truck!

great truck
By vincent black

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

great truck never stopped on me strong excel1eration 149000 miles. overdrive censor power window motor gas cap twice and an ongoing problem in the rear. Whenever I stop at light when I release brakes there is a thump in the rear. If anyone has had this problem please share some info

Dependable and reliable
By Archie Bowers

2003 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My 03 Std cab, 4x4 was purchased used and beaten up but mechanically sound back in 2008. It has never left me standing, always starts even in -30 up here in Calgary. The crank windows and manual locks are annoying but it rides well, doesnt rattle, hauls everything, and serves as a perfect dirty contractor truck. The 4.7 sucks gas but the truck has get up and go. Not fast, but definitely quick. When i see other same model trucks out there i know the owners are enjoying the dependability, since Toyota definitely knows how to deliver up good trucks. This reflects in the resale price. I have 225,000 km on this truck and i know it can do another 225,000 no probs! Fluid and brakes only.

Tundra: Built like a Rock!
By leezjosh

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my truck in August of 2003. Currently has 150,000 miles. It has NEVER refused to start or break down on the road. The only complaint is due to a worn rear bearing, which is somewhat due to wear and tear. Acceleration is very good, leaps ahead of the crowd at stoplights. Very comfy and ergonomically correct interior. Cloth is plushy. Exterior paint is too thin and chips easily. Bumper is not very strong compared to previous Chevy 1500 bumper (Front and Rear) but adequate.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, reliability, camry-like interior.

Suggested Improvements

The paint needs to be thick like the domestic trucks and the bumpers need to be much stronger. However, a stronger bumper may increase chances of whiplash in a car accident.

WOW!
By Joe

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck brand new. Awesome acceleration, and pulling power. I have pulled things with this truck I shouldn't have. It hasn't let me down yet! Only exceptions is I had to replace two o2 sensors ($90 each). I am driving this truck until the wheels fall off. Only down side is the doors and the access cab needed to be a bit bigger. I love my Toyota! I remember driving off the lot for $14,000 tt&l to include extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, pulling power...

Suggested Improvements

Access cab needs to be bigger