Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Keeps on truckin
By Steve R.

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

322,077 miles and counting! Best truck I ever owned! Steve R.

270000 and still towing 5000lbs+
By Brian

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I got my tundra used for a pricey $9000 from a toyota dealer. It had 230000 miles on it and drove like new. Never had the suspension replaced and it still settles instantly after bumps. The rear suspension was a bit weak for loads so I bought larger bottom out guards and I'm they keep my ride level while towing and with full loads. Tows my travel 23 ft travel trailer and it could have more power but I can't ask much of its 7000 load max. I do all my matinance on the truck myself and it is very easy to work on. Lots of space and so far I've only had to do matinance of filters and fluids. Except for the center drive shaft bearing which its rubber mounts were ripped and sagging. It was easly fixed by replacing with a used drive shaft from a parts yard for understanding $100, of course I did it myself and didn't have to pay for shop time. It's been to burning man once and was used as a work truck there, and cleaned up nicely. I have a performance computer, a tow computer and a dash cam. I get great mpg even while towing for a v8. The tailgate latch just broke on my because so much dust got in the mechanismshop it froze and instead of lubing ithe I just went hard and broke the plastic handle right off! Of course now it works great since I lubed it but that's a bumer, the truck was immaculate before that. The limited interior is great and the speaker are great sounding. I have to use a cassette auxiliary adapter so it messes with my quality a bit but it's all good. Drives like new, looks cute and sexy while still keeping a sence of beastly truck. I love dews truck and intend to reach 300000 with no problems. Daily driver as of now but soon I will have a little car for small things.

12+ years old, 145,000 miles and it's good as new
By Robert Alan

2003 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

An extremely good value full size pick-up that does everything I need. I've used it for construction and it can carry anything. The engine is a solid performer that still runs like new and in all these years it has never been in a shop except for basic maintenance. I would like to get something new, but I just had it repainted instead. It still drives and feel like new.

Reliable, awesome truck! It just rocks on.
By mwsizemttrs

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Although I had owned a number of the smaller Toyota 4x4 trucks before purchasing this truck (which by the way were as reliable as this one), this was my first full size 4x4 and my first 4x4 V8 with automatic transmission. Wow! I will never go back to a small truck again. I bought the truck a little over 3 years ago with 160K miles and got it for $4k below book. As I said earlier, my experience with Toyota 6cyl and 4cyl 4x4's were all positive but I was a little apprehensive about buying the V8 but the power of this engine has been anything but a disappointment. I not only use this truck as a workhorse truck (using to help pull down trees, hauling dirt, brush, and logs) but also as my everyday commute to work (70 miles roundtrip and I tend to have a bit of a leadfoot - trust me...the truck has not been babied). The truck has never failed me. Other than normal maintenance expenses and the added expense of less mpg with the V8, the only other expense was the replacement of the shocks after it rolled over to 200K since it still had the original shocks on it. The truck now has 212K miles and runs as good as it did when I bought it. My wife's car is a Nissan Maxima but whenever we go anywhere together, we take the truck. Needless to say..I love my Tundra. Great truck.

So Far So Good
By fteter

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tundra Access Cab with the LTD trim package and the leather seats new in 2003. 2wd with Limited Slip Differential. So the truck is 12 years old with 130,000 miles on it as I write this. So far so good. Still comfortable, still reliable, still runs like new, carries or tows whatever I throw at it. Did change out the timing belt and water pump at 90,000 miles, but only because Toyota's maintenance schedule recommend it - no issues. Expect another decade from this truck.

Strong transmission. Simple, elegant interior styling. Very comfortable front seats. Excellent acceleration and power. Smooth ride, especially for a truck. And quiet...blocks out external noises very well. And the best part...never, ever, ever fails to start and perform. With the Limited Slip Differential, I can handle offroading well. Not rock crawling, but basic offroading. Have even pulled a few 4wd vehicles out of trouble ;) Recently took the truck on a cross-country vacation. Never worried. Not a single issue...not even a funny noise. 12 years out - still runs like new.

Toyota painted this truck with water color paint. Very thin coat, easily scratched or chipped. It may need a paint job within the next two or three years. The front brake rotors are a bit overmatched by the weight of the truck. I went to cryogenically frozen Brembo rotors - harder surface, lasting much longer between rotor turns. Not much comfort in the rear seats of the Access Cab. Good for infants and small children, but not much else. Minor nits for the most part. All suggested improvements aside, love this truck!

• SUV