Used 2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

One of the best truck ever
By pipi

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This truck seen small truck but has more power and better handling that tha big one. I Own a 2001 f-150 before I bought this truck and there no compare this truck is 110 % better.

Favorite Features

Acceleration 0-60 in less than 8 second

Go anywhere Lexus
By ex-150

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

After owning 4 Ford trucks I finally gave up and went with the Toyota. This is the best truck I have ever owned. To be fair there have been several recalls and service programs but Toyota has fixed every little problem I've had (new front brake calipers and rotors/ new oxy sensors and manifolds/ new seatbelts). Truck tows my boat no problem and is outstanding off -road! It rides like a Lexus on the Interstate and has handled some pretty rough terrain in the mountains.

Favorite Features

Engine, exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Larger back seat, move the clock

Great truck
By Jo

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new about 8 years ago. I love my truck. V-8 is always responsive, no hesitation, a/c works great even in south Mississippi summers. Transmission is as flawless as the day it was born. The interior has held up wonderfully, only one temp control knob has split on the inside, looking for a new one! On long trips, it's good for about 8 hours before my back gets sore. Exterior has also held up well due to frequent oil changes, tire rotations and wash and wax frequently and this truck will last. No rust. Bed is smaller than a full size pickup, but this is great for parking and moving small loads. Big loads I use the trailer hitch and find a trailer.

Favorite Features

Sits up high in traffic without needing a lift package. A/C and sound system still puts out, cruise is still great. Truck is solid, no rust (garage kept). Will keep when I purchase a car.

Suggested Improvements

Front end alignment issues when first purchased, cost a new set of tires, but dealership resolved. Hyper extend the back doors for ease of use in loading packages and groceries.

Great Vehicle
By Dave

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has been totally trouble free. Everything is very well thought out. It drives almost exactly the same as when I drove it off the lot. The engine is quiet and very smooth and the suspension is awesome: it drives the same whether the bed is empty or filled to its capacity. It's become an old friend.

Favorite Features

Smooooooth engine and accurate (not sloppy) suspension. I got 95,000 on my original tires!!!

Suggested Improvements

More spacious interior (new models have this). Of course better gas mileage would be good.

02'tundra limited 4x4
By blueyedevil

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I,ve owned an 02' tundra (access cab) 4x4 for 10 yrs. I bought it with 40k miles, mint condition. I have 328,500 miles on it now. no that is not a miss-print. I put 35k a yr. religiously. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 125k(cause the manual says to) and was about to have it done again. But, a deer took my baby out 4 days ago. Ive owned 5 chevy,s , 1 ford, and 1 dodge. never have I gotten over 189k on any one of them. Shopping for another Yota 02' 4x4( 4.7L). I'm buying another in a couple days with 190k miles and I know I wont have a problem with it. (p.s. the ride is a little rough on hard surfaces but it's a 4x4. But,Tracks really straight/tight on wet narrow dirt rds )

Favorite Features

I like smaller body size than chevy, ford and even new larger tundras. Easier to go thru woods roads and narrow walmart parking places. Didnt have to go down to a tacoma ( v-6). Also love the push button 4x4 engage on the fly. nissan frontier wouldnt engage 4wd till u drove backwards 6 feet. "W.T.H."

Suggested Improvements

Back seat not much room, not even for kids, but thats ok, cause i dont have any. . . I call it my air-conditioned tool box. ( thats where i stored my tools and stuff.). Also , small rear window. difficult to see backing up trailer and such. . . and really cant see if u put a tool box. Hadn't tried low profile box yet.