Used 2002 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Not as good as past Toyotas
By Nunya

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I've had 2 Toyotas in the past, and the new ones are living on that reputation. It's still a great truck compared to the other low quality trucks on the market, but still not even close to the same quality as past Toyotas. The 18 MPG really stinks, especially for a V- 6, the cargo light has to be turned off before getting out of the truck to keep from running the batt. down., the seatbelts seem really cheap, the paint seems very thin, and brittle, the cheap plastic tailgate handle broke and costs a fortune to replace. It's still a good truck, but like others here I just expected a heck of a lot more out of Toyota than this. IMHO we keep buying higher $$$ for cheaper quality. Will we learn?

Long-bed, leg-room, size of vehicle.

Better quality for truck, better parts instead of cheap plastic crap, easier access to oil filter, better paint, and rust protection, less bells and whistles to malfunction, simpler designs instead of fancy electronic buttons. Some of us use our trucks for what they were intended for.

Best truck for the money
By tommy

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My truck has been a great ride for almost four years now. Everything continues to offer a smooth experience - except for the disfunctional cupholder. Low noise, decent on gas, no mechanical problems to speak of.

Design. Fit for my lifestyle.

Long bed makes for a super lightweight ride...easy slider.

Terrible Tundra Turmoil
By Nick

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

You would think Toyota means "problem free" for at least 4 years, BUT NOT TRUE. At 2 years, gear shift malfunction ($1134.59 repair),defective rear leaf spring ($1239.99). At 3 years old catastrophic transmission malfunction ($3449.59). In a 3 year peroid a total of $5824. 17 repairs for someone that uses it to commute to work. OH WHAT A FEELING IT IS ! TOYOTA $$$$$$$$$

Smooth on highway, handling,

Access door to oil filter. Better seat belts. 2nd battery option. Better ext. paint, less brittle and thicker. Anti-rust undercoat.

not so hot
By dw

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this used 6mo ago with ~65k mi on it and in apparently excellent shape. So far I've had to deal with grease spitting cv boots, worn out tie rod ends, recalled lower steering ball joints, and I just found out my steering rack is shot and requires replacement! I've owned several other trucks and never had this much trouble in this short a period. Lemon? Abused by the previous owner? Maybe both, but I expected more from a Toyota. Oh, the mileage is terrible, almost never get above 14mpg for mixed driving. Otherwise it's a great truck... I guess.

locking rear differential. roomy access cab. smooth power curve.

better fuel efficiency. get back to the dependability that toyota was known for.

Great Truck
By don

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I now have 67000 miles on my truck. It is my only vehicle and it has never failed me in over three years. I live in northern New Hampshire where winters can be pretty tough. I have had to only do the regular maintenance required. Before this I owned a Toyota Camry which I ran for nine years. My son still runs it and it has over 150000 miles. I'll stay with Toyota for the reasons noted above and for the resale value.

Dependability!!!!

Could do better on gas mileage. I believe in this day and age these trucks could be designed to get far better mileage.