Used 2002 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Nice Truck
By Sidney

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent to this date. I have replaced the oil every 6000 miles, brakes as needed along with the air filter. The spark plugs were replaced at 120,000 to be safe. The Toyota is better than my smaller Nissan truck in gas mileage and comfort. It is worth the price difference.

Durability.

These days any mileage improvement in MPG would be great.

Best Truck Made
By nole795

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Tundra for 2 years. Smartest buy I ever made. It will even outlast my wife :). I was skeptical buying a used truck from a lot but the Tundra really is a great ride. It has power. You really feel safe in the truck in the TX storms. I've never brought it for service except for one recall and oil changes. If your in the market for a reliable used truck that can do the "job" then the Tundra should be on the top of your list. You wont be disappointed.

The smooth ride, low wind noise, acceleration, and the overall build and look of the truck. I love the excess space you can make when you fold the back seats up for space, as well as the hidden compartments below the back seat. Gotta love those suicide doors.

I average 14 mpg in the truck, but hey it is a V8 so I expected it. My only qualms is that I like to rest my arm on the window frame. The Tundra window frame is very thin and uncomfortable for those wanting the "trucker tan." Back seats are not the most comfortable.

V6 powerhouse AT smooth ride
By carb1776

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Truck rides like a Camry. V6 is more than enough power to drive straight up inclines in Vermont hills! MPG 21 or better if you drive the speed limit. I have only changed the oil. My first truck, would buy again! Toyota quality and great resale market for this truck. Lot's of room for a very tall guy.

Good gas mileage for a truck this size if you stay at 65 mph. Inside very comfortable, you almost forget you are in a truck. No wonder this is called the best truck on the road. Easy to see out side mirrors and rear view mirror.

Make a V6 hybrid tundra.

Great Pickup!
By I Vernon

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I got the stripped model 2DR V6, A/C, roll-up windows, no cruise control, approx. $18,500. This is really a fantastic vehicle except for one nagging problem. The front brake rotors consistently become warped from overheating about every 20,000 miles. The so-called fix is to buy new star adjusters for the rear drum brakes. This does not solve the problem, and Toyota refuses to issue a recall notice or assist owners with this problem. They just sell the star adjustors which do not solve the problem. In standing behind their product, Toyota is becoming more like the U.S. auto producers!

Great smooth driving vehicle. Gas mileage at 17-20 mpg is pretty good.

This truck is not an F-150 substitute! It is too small, and doesn't have the size and power to haul and tow the way many people want to use a 1/2 ton pickup. Obviously, the brakes should be fixed.

Would Buy Again
By Joe Kot

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Best driving I've had with a truck or a car. Would like better gas mileage, but it is one of the best in its class. Would definitely buy again. Great truck.

Brakes (don't ask, you'll know what I mean when you buy one). Smooth ride.

Gas mileage, roomier back, but that's been addressed already.