2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Go anywhere Lexus
By ex-150 on 03/27/06 20:06 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

After owning 4 Ford trucks I finally gave up and went with the Toyota. This is the best truck I have ever owned. To be fair there have been several recalls and service programs but Toyota has fixed every little problem I've had (new front brake calipers and rotors/ new oxy sensors and manifolds/ new seatbelts). Truck tows my boat no problem and is outstanding off -road! It rides like a Lexus on the Interstate and has handled some pretty rough terrain in the mountains.

Wonderful Truck
By Greg on 02/16/06 13:08 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am very happy with this truck. It rides great, handles good and is very quiet and comfortable. I have a 91 Toyota truck with 191,000 miles on it and that one runs almost perfect. I can't imagine purchasing anything but a Toyota. I am confident this truck will go at least 200K without needing any repairs.

Not as good as past Toyotas
By Nunya on 01/13/06 11:36 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I've had 2 Toyotas in the past, and the new ones are living on that reputation. It's still a great truck compared to the other low quality trucks on the market, but still not even close to the same quality as past Toyotas. The 18 MPG really stinks, especially for a V- 6, the cargo light has to be turned off before getting out of the truck to keep from running the batt. down., the seatbelts seem really cheap, the paint seems very thin, and brittle, the cheap plastic tailgate handle broke and costs a fortune to replace. It's still a good truck, but like others here I just expected a heck of a lot more out of Toyota than this. IMHO we keep buying higher $$$ for cheaper quality. Will we learn?

Best truck for the money
By tommy on 01/10/06 13:42 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My truck has been a great ride for almost four years now. Everything continues to offer a smooth experience - except for the disfunctional cupholder. Low noise, decent on gas, no mechanical problems to speak of.

Terrible Tundra Turmoil
By Nick on 11/10/05 12:49 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

You would think Toyota means "problem free" for at least 4 years, BUT NOT TRUE. At 2 years, gear shift malfunction ($1134.59 repair),defective rear leaf spring ($1239.99). At 3 years old catastrophic transmission malfunction ($3449.59). In a 3 year peroid a total of $5824. 17 repairs for someone that uses it to commute to work. OH WHAT A FEELING IT IS ! TOYOTA $$$$$$$$$

not so hot
By dw on 09/15/05 16:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this used 6mo ago with ~65k mi on it and in apparently excellent shape. So far I've had to deal with grease spitting cv boots, worn out tie rod ends, recalled lower steering ball joints, and I just found out my steering rack is shot and requires replacement! I've owned several other trucks and never had this much trouble in this short a period. Lemon? Abused by the previous owner? Maybe both, but I expected more from a Toyota. Oh, the mileage is terrible, almost never get above 14mpg for mixed driving. Otherwise it's a great truck... I guess.

Great Truck
By don on 08/09/05 21:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I now have 67000 miles on my truck. It is my only vehicle and it has never failed me in over three years. I live in northern New Hampshire where winters can be pretty tough. I have had to only do the regular maintenance required. Before this I owned a Toyota Camry which I ran for nine years. My son still runs it and it has over 150000 miles. I'll stay with Toyota for the reasons noted above and for the resale value.

No brakes, no help from Toyota
By A Drews on 07/29/05 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is my first Toyota lemon. The rotors warp every 3000 miles, a common problem on all Tundras now. Don't buy one used (or new). Toyota has learned well from U.S. car corporations. Stall, stall, deny. Just do a web search for " Tundra Brake Problems".

OUTSTANDING
By LYNN on 07/05/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Except for a few squeaks and fuel economy under 20 MPG, the truck is excellent!

The perfect Alaskan Truck
By tundra on 06/28/05 19:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Simply put, my Tundra is a damn good vehicle. It works well in snow, mud, gunk and on highways that have pavement.