Used 2002 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

2002 Tundra Limited Edition
By shawnl2

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for nearly 7 years and have been very pleased with the overall quality. I work in the construction service industry and thought I would regret not buying 4WD. Glad I did not waste my money this truck handles very well off road with the 2WD. The ride is very comfortable both on and off road, could be the TRD package assisting with this? My overall gas mileage is approximately 16-17 mpg (this is using cruise control and driving a little over the speed limit). I have 133K miles on this truck and have never had to replace anything major on the engine (just routine service i.e. timing belt and bearings). My only complaint is how touchy the O2 senors are. Very dependable!

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage for a V8, comfortable ride, well manufactured powertrain, towing capability (two Sea-Doos on a trailer).

Suggested Improvements

At this point none. I have made a Toyota commercial at least a dozen times over in this truck and it's still going strong.

Good Truck
By Luke

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck handles great and I have damaged it a lot and never any damage to the tough frame. Toyota has made a very reliable truck, I have put 80000 miles on it and have had no damage to any parts or engine, all damage has been cosmetic due to me. The only thing you have to do is change the oil and brakes. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, look and feel. Smooth ride all the time.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy

Not a bad truck
By Yonsson

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the truck with 45,000 miles on it and currently have 65,000. So far it hasn't needed anything besides the routine PMs. I change the oil every 4,000 and flush the trans fluid every 20,000 because I'm a freak about my drivetrain, I wrecked a lot of my GMs from hurting those. I haven't had any problems with my rotors warping but my brakes are pretty spongy, lots of travel in the pedal. It can haul the equipment youll need unless you get crazy with it. Acceleration is not bad but it hauls on the high end. Fuel mileage is 13 to 16 mpg so you can pass the pump that often. Otherwise not a bad truck.

Favorite Features

Handles like a dream. Very sharp body design. Engines runs like butter. Sound killer with straight pipes.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage. Tiny cab, no good when your 6'3" and have a wife and kid. No room. Spongy brakes but not bothersome enough to bleed or flush.

Great Vehicle
By Dave

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has been totally trouble free. Everything is very well thought out. It drives almost exactly the same as when I drove it off the lot. The engine is quiet and very smooth and the suspension is awesome: it drives the same whether the bed is empty or filled to its capacity. It's become an old friend.

Favorite Features

Smooooooth engine and accurate (not sloppy) suspension. I got 95,000 on my original tires!!!

Suggested Improvements

More spacious interior (new models have this). Of course better gas mileage would be good.

Good truck!!
By tarheel tundra

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck since new and it probably saved my life in an accident when I ran up on the rear end of broken down snowplow parked in the middle of an unplowed road on an extreme downhill. Get one with ABS and Lmt. Slip if you can. Mileage is ok 11 city / 17 hwy but the engine is butter and I've loaded over a ton of used bricks/construction debris in the back and hauled it to the dump no problem. Not very nimble (turning radius is quite wide) but dependable and well thought out. Has required only routine maintenance and a couple covered TSBs (O2 Sensors) in its 35,000 miles. I'd buy again but I'd have bought an Ex. Cab in hindsight and gone with the 6 cyl.

Favorite Features

V8 is just butter... expensive butter!

Suggested Improvements

Make ABS standard. The standard Bridgestone tires were just a disgrace, put on some Michelins ASAP.