Used 2002 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Great truck
By Jo

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new about 8 years ago. I love my truck. V-8 is always responsive, no hesitation, a/c works great even in south Mississippi summers. Transmission is as flawless as the day it was born. The interior has held up wonderfully, only one temp control knob has split on the inside, looking for a new one! On long trips, it's good for about 8 hours before my back gets sore. Exterior has also held up well due to frequent oil changes, tire rotations and wash and wax frequently and this truck will last. No rust. Bed is smaller than a full size pickup, but this is great for parking and moving small loads. Big loads I use the trailer hitch and find a trailer.

Sits up high in traffic without needing a lift package. A/C and sound system still puts out, cruise is still great. Truck is solid, no rust (garage kept). Will keep when I purchase a car.

Front end alignment issues when first purchased, cost a new set of tires, but dealership resolved. Hyper extend the back doors for ease of use in loading packages and groceries.

Not bad
By Billinin

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I've been a Toyota guy for the past 20+ years. I was looking for a vehicle to pull a mid-size fishing boat. Got the base 6 cyl long bed. It's been an okay truck but not on par with other Toyotas I've had. No serious problems-- just not as nice. I've had it for 7 years and it's served us well. Getting about 15 mpg in town...21 on hwy

Base model--doesn't have a ton of features!

Better feel and better quality materials. Better fit and finish.

2002 Tundra Limited Edition
By shawnl2

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for nearly 7 years and have been very pleased with the overall quality. I work in the construction service industry and thought I would regret not buying 4WD. Glad I did not waste my money this truck handles very well off road with the 2WD. The ride is very comfortable both on and off road, could be the TRD package assisting with this? My overall gas mileage is approximately 16-17 mpg (this is using cruise control and driving a little over the speed limit). I have 133K miles on this truck and have never had to replace anything major on the engine (just routine service i.e. timing belt and bearings). My only complaint is how touchy the O2 senors are. Very dependable!

Decent gas mileage for a V8, comfortable ride, well manufactured powertrain, towing capability (two Sea-Doos on a trailer).

At this point none. I have made a Toyota commercial at least a dozen times over in this truck and it's still going strong.

Good Truck
By Luke

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck handles great and I have damaged it a lot and never any damage to the tough frame. Toyota has made a very reliable truck, I have put 80000 miles on it and have had no damage to any parts or engine, all damage has been cosmetic due to me. The only thing you have to do is change the oil and brakes. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Acceleration, look and feel. Smooth ride all the time.

Fuel economy

Not a bad truck
By Yonsson

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the truck with 45,000 miles on it and currently have 65,000. So far it hasn't needed anything besides the routine PMs. I change the oil every 4,000 and flush the trans fluid every 20,000 because I'm a freak about my drivetrain, I wrecked a lot of my GMs from hurting those. I haven't had any problems with my rotors warping but my brakes are pretty spongy, lots of travel in the pedal. It can haul the equipment youll need unless you get crazy with it. Acceleration is not bad but it hauls on the high end. Fuel mileage is 13 to 16 mpg so you can pass the pump that often. Otherwise not a bad truck.

Handles like a dream. Very sharp body design. Engines runs like butter. Sound killer with straight pipes.

Fuel mileage. Tiny cab, no good when your 6'3" and have a wife and kid. No room. Spongy brakes but not bothersome enough to bleed or flush.