Used 2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

02'tundra limited 4x4
By blueyedevil

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I,ve owned an 02' tundra (access cab) 4x4 for 10 yrs. I bought it with 40k miles, mint condition. I have 328,500 miles on it now. no that is not a miss-print. I put 35k a yr. religiously. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 125k(cause the manual says to) and was about to have it done again. But, a deer took my baby out 4 days ago. Ive owned 5 chevy,s , 1 ford, and 1 dodge. never have I gotten over 189k on any one of them. Shopping for another Yota 02' 4x4( 4.7L). I'm buying another in a couple days with 190k miles and I know I wont have a problem with it. (p.s. the ride is a little rough on hard surfaces but it's a 4x4. But,Tracks really straight/tight on wet narrow dirt rds )

Favorite Features

I like smaller body size than chevy, ford and even new larger tundras. Easier to go thru woods roads and narrow walmart parking places. Didnt have to go down to a tacoma ( v-6). Also love the push button 4x4 engage on the fly. nissan frontier wouldnt engage 4wd till u drove backwards 6 feet. "W.T.H."

Suggested Improvements

Back seat not much room, not even for kids, but thats ok, cause i dont have any. . . I call it my air-conditioned tool box. ( thats where i stored my tools and stuff.). Also , small rear window. difficult to see backing up trailer and such. . . and really cant see if u put a tool box. Hadn't tried low profile box yet.

Great Truck, but You Need to Know...
83,103 of 83,147 people found this review helpful
By the3rdfinger

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just purchased this truck used with 100,000 miles on it. Since then I have discovered two things you need to watch out for on this truck: 1. The 4.7L V8 is an interference engine. The service interval is 90,000 miles. If you allow the timing belt to break, it will destroy the valves. Be sure you take this maintenance item into consideration. Have the water pump and idler/tensioner pulleys replaced at the same time you have the belt serviced. Expect to pay $500-$900 for parts and labor. 2. Toyota has issued several recalls for excessive frame corrosion. Check to be sure the frame is not excessively corroded and that the recall items are taken care of.

Great truck
By Jo

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new about 8 years ago. I love my truck. V-8 is always responsive, no hesitation, a/c works great even in south Mississippi summers. Transmission is as flawless as the day it was born. The interior has held up wonderfully, only one temp control knob has split on the inside, looking for a new one! On long trips, it's good for about 8 hours before my back gets sore. Exterior has also held up well due to frequent oil changes, tire rotations and wash and wax frequently and this truck will last. No rust. Bed is smaller than a full size pickup, but this is great for parking and moving small loads. Big loads I use the trailer hitch and find a trailer.

Favorite Features

Sits up high in traffic without needing a lift package. A/C and sound system still puts out, cruise is still great. Truck is solid, no rust (garage kept). Will keep when I purchase a car.

Suggested Improvements

Front end alignment issues when first purchased, cost a new set of tires, but dealership resolved. Hyper extend the back doors for ease of use in loading packages and groceries.

2002 Tundra Limited Edition
By shawnl2

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for nearly 7 years and have been very pleased with the overall quality. I work in the construction service industry and thought I would regret not buying 4WD. Glad I did not waste my money this truck handles very well off road with the 2WD. The ride is very comfortable both on and off road, could be the TRD package assisting with this? My overall gas mileage is approximately 16-17 mpg (this is using cruise control and driving a little over the speed limit). I have 133K miles on this truck and have never had to replace anything major on the engine (just routine service i.e. timing belt and bearings). My only complaint is how touchy the O2 senors are. Very dependable!

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage for a V8, comfortable ride, well manufactured powertrain, towing capability (two Sea-Doos on a trailer).

Suggested Improvements

At this point none. I have made a Toyota commercial at least a dozen times over in this truck and it's still going strong.

Good Truck
By Luke

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck handles great and I have damaged it a lot and never any damage to the tough frame. Toyota has made a very reliable truck, I have put 80000 miles on it and have had no damage to any parts or engine, all damage has been cosmetic due to me. The only thing you have to do is change the oil and brakes. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, look and feel. Smooth ride all the time.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy