2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
24,092 of 24,134 people found this review helpful
Great Truck, but You Need to Know...
By the3rdfinger on 11/11/11 09:06 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just purchased this truck used with 100,000 miles on it. Since then I have discovered two things you need to watch out for on this truck: 1. The 4.7L V8 is an interference engine. The service interval is 90,000 miles. If you allow the timing belt to break, it will destroy the valves. Be sure you take this maintenance item into consideration. Have the water pump and idler/tensioner pulleys replaced at the same time you have the belt serviced. Expect to pay $500-$900 for parts and labor. 2. Toyota has issued several recalls for excessive frame corrosion. Check to be sure the frame is not excessively corroded and that the recall items are taken care of.

Great truck
By Jo on 12/11/09 13:29 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new about 8 years ago. I love my truck. V-8 is always responsive, no hesitation, a/c works great even in south Mississippi summers. Transmission is as flawless as the day it was born. The interior has held up wonderfully, only one temp control knob has split on the inside, looking for a new one! On long trips, it's good for about 8 hours before my back gets sore. Exterior has also held up well due to frequent oil changes, tire rotations and wash and wax frequently and this truck will last. No rust. Bed is smaller than a full size pickup, but this is great for parking and moving small loads. Big loads I use the trailer hitch and find a trailer.

2002 Tundra Limited Edition
By shawnl2 on 01/25/09 16:02 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for nearly 7 years and have been very pleased with the overall quality. I work in the construction service industry and thought I would regret not buying 4WD. Glad I did not waste my money this truck handles very well off road with the 2WD. The ride is very comfortable both on and off road, could be the TRD package assisting with this? My overall gas mileage is approximately 16-17 mpg (this is using cruise control and driving a little over the speed limit). I have 133K miles on this truck and have never had to replace anything major on the engine (just routine service i.e. timing belt and bearings). My only complaint is how touchy the O2 senors are. Very dependable!

Good Truck
By Luke on 06/11/08 10:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck handles great and I have damaged it a lot and never any damage to the tough frame. Toyota has made a very reliable truck, I have put 80000 miles on it and have had no damage to any parts or engine, all damage has been cosmetic due to me. The only thing you have to do is change the oil and brakes. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Not a bad truck
By Yonsson on 05/27/08 09:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the truck with 45,000 miles on it and currently have 65,000. So far it hasn't needed anything besides the routine PMs. I change the oil every 4,000 and flush the trans fluid every 20,000 because I'm a freak about my drivetrain, I wrecked a lot of my GMs from hurting those. I haven't had any problems with my rotors warping but my brakes are pretty spongy, lots of travel in the pedal. It can haul the equipment youll need unless you get crazy with it. Acceleration is not bad but it hauls on the high end. Fuel mileage is 13 to 16 mpg so you can pass the pump that often. Otherwise not a bad truck.

Great Vehicle
By Dave on 04/21/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has been totally trouble free. Everything is very well thought out. It drives almost exactly the same as when I drove it off the lot. The engine is quiet and very smooth and the suspension is awesome: it drives the same whether the bed is empty or filled to its capacity. It's become an old friend.

My Tundra
By scottd on 10/12/07 16:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

7 years and the truck looks brand new! Standard Lexus engine was a dream in this truck. No repairs have been needed, only one set of tires and 3 new batteries (eats them up for some reason?). Mileage, I'm still getting 21 mpg around town and 28 highway! Would have to offer me a lot to trade, all new trucks can't come close.

2002 Tundra SR5
By Hardball on 12/12/06 08:37 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Very reliable truck. I have had problems with front brake rotors warping. Currently on my 4th set of rotors. Other than rotors warpping the build quality has been excellent. The truck is 5 years old and still is in excellent condition. Current mileage is 86,000.

Best Truck Made
By nole795 on 10/28/06 23:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Tundra for 2 years. Smartest buy I ever made. It will even outlast my wife :). I was skeptical buying a used truck from a lot but the Tundra really is a great ride. It has power. You really feel safe in the truck in the TX storms. I've never brought it for service except for one recall and oil changes. If your in the market for a reliable used truck that can do the "job" then the Tundra should be on the top of your list. You wont be disappointed.

Would Buy Again
By Joe Kot on 08/01/06 13:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Best driving I've had with a truck or a car. Would like better gas mileage, but it is one of the best in its class. Would definitely buy again. Great truck.