Used 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Love This Old Truck
By cddc

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Edmonds does not show the 2002 Toyota V8 SR5 Access Cab Tundra so I am putting it in with the 4X4 version.

My 2002 Tundra SR5 V8 access cab is still in great condition and runs well after 12 years. Love this Truck! Low mileage and looks great! My favorite features are the quiet smooth ride, cab head room, the back access bench seat for my dogs, the Lexus V8 engine, and the reliability. If you bought a 2014 SR5 Tundra now the price would be close to 50k. I paid 19k for my SR5 and will keep it for a few more years, since it is in great condition! Will get painted and leather added and save 10s of thousands over a new one. The new Tundras are too big and $$$. And the Taco is to expensive for what you get. The access door version only has horrid worthless jump seats. My truck size is :)

The only real issue I have on my truck is the paint now coming off. It has the metallic Thunder Grey. The paint is starting to come off badly on the roof, doors, and hood. I should have got non-met white paint. My brother and friend have the white Tundra and Taco and have no paint peel issues. Also, I have low idle issues. It is not a real problem since the car never stalls but it bugs me. I had everything done including a new throttle body put in and it still idles real low. I also had the dealer and two other mechanics look at it and they said there is no problem and this is a common issue with older Tundras. My brothers truck also idles around 500-600 and mine is 400-500rpm

Good truck!!
By tarheel tundra

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck since new and it probably saved my life in an accident when I ran up on the rear end of broken down snowplow parked in the middle of an unplowed road on an extreme downhill. Get one with ABS and Lmt. Slip if you can. Mileage is ok 11 city / 17 hwy but the engine is butter and I've loaded over a ton of used bricks/construction debris in the back and hauled it to the dump no problem. Not very nimble (turning radius is quite wide) but dependable and well thought out. Has required only routine maintenance and a couple covered TSBs (O2 Sensors) in its 35,000 miles. I'd buy again but I'd have bought an Ex. Cab in hindsight and gone with the 6 cyl.

V8 is just butter... expensive butter!

Make ABS standard. The standard Bridgestone tires were just a disgrace, put on some Michelins ASAP.