Used 2002 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

02'tundra limited 4x4
By blueyedevil

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I,ve owned an 02' tundra (access cab) 4x4 for 10 yrs. I bought it with 40k miles, mint condition. I have 328,500 miles on it now. no that is not a miss-print. I put 35k a yr. religiously. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 125k(cause the manual says to) and was about to have it done again. But, a deer took my baby out 4 days ago. Ive owned 5 chevy,s , 1 ford, and 1 dodge. never have I gotten over 189k on any one of them. Shopping for another Yota 02' 4x4( 4.7L). I'm buying another in a couple days with 190k miles and I know I wont have a problem with it. (p.s. the ride is a little rough on hard surfaces but it's a 4x4. But,Tracks really straight/tight on wet narrow dirt rds )

Favorite Features

I like smaller body size than chevy, ford and even new larger tundras. Easier to go thru woods roads and narrow walmart parking places. Didnt have to go down to a tacoma ( v-6). Also love the push button 4x4 engage on the fly. nissan frontier wouldnt engage 4wd till u drove backwards 6 feet. "W.T.H."

Suggested Improvements

Back seat not much room, not even for kids, but thats ok, cause i dont have any. . . I call it my air-conditioned tool box. ( thats where i stored my tools and stuff.). Also , small rear window. difficult to see backing up trailer and such. . . and really cant see if u put a tool box. Hadn't tried low profile box yet.

Love This Old Truck
By cddc

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Edmonds does not show the 2002 Toyota V8 SR5 Access Cab Tundra so I am putting it in with the 4X4 version.

Favorite Features

My 2002 Tundra SR5 V8 access cab is still in great condition and runs well after 12 years. Love this Truck! Low mileage and looks great! My favorite features are the quiet smooth ride, cab head room, the back access bench seat for my dogs, the Lexus V8 engine, and the reliability. If you bought a 2014 SR5 Tundra now the price would be close to 50k. I paid 19k for my SR5 and will keep it for a few more years, since it is in great condition! Will get painted and leather added and save 10s of thousands over a new one. The new Tundras are too big and $$$. And the Taco is to expensive for what you get. The access door version only has horrid worthless jump seats. My truck size is :)

Suggested Improvements

The only real issue I have on my truck is the paint now coming off. It has the metallic Thunder Grey. The paint is starting to come off badly on the roof, doors, and hood. I should have got non-met white paint. My brother and friend have the white Tundra and Taco and have no paint peel issues. Also, I have low idle issues. It is not a real problem since the car never stalls but it bugs me. I had everything done including a new throttle body put in and it still idles real low. I also had the dealer and two other mechanics look at it and they said there is no problem and this is a common issue with older Tundras. My brothers truck also idles around 500-600 and mine is 400-500rpm

Great Truck, but You Need to Know...
102,649 of 102,693 people found this review helpful
By the3rdfinger

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just purchased this truck used with 100,000 miles on it. Since then I have discovered two things you need to watch out for on this truck: 1. The 4.7L V8 is an interference engine. The service interval is 90,000 miles. If you allow the timing belt to break, it will destroy the valves. Be sure you take this maintenance item into consideration. Have the water pump and idler/tensioner pulleys replaced at the same time you have the belt serviced. Expect to pay $500-$900 for parts and labor. 2. Toyota has issued several recalls for excessive frame corrosion. Check to be sure the frame is not excessively corroded and that the recall items are taken care of.

Great truck
By Jo

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new about 8 years ago. I love my truck. V-8 is always responsive, no hesitation, a/c works great even in south Mississippi summers. Transmission is as flawless as the day it was born. The interior has held up wonderfully, only one temp control knob has split on the inside, looking for a new one! On long trips, it's good for about 8 hours before my back gets sore. Exterior has also held up well due to frequent oil changes, tire rotations and wash and wax frequently and this truck will last. No rust. Bed is smaller than a full size pickup, but this is great for parking and moving small loads. Big loads I use the trailer hitch and find a trailer.

Favorite Features

Sits up high in traffic without needing a lift package. A/C and sound system still puts out, cruise is still great. Truck is solid, no rust (garage kept). Will keep when I purchase a car.

Suggested Improvements

Front end alignment issues when first purchased, cost a new set of tires, but dealership resolved. Hyper extend the back doors for ease of use in loading packages and groceries.

Not bad
By Billinin

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I've been a Toyota guy for the past 20+ years. I was looking for a vehicle to pull a mid-size fishing boat. Got the base 6 cyl long bed. It's been an okay truck but not on par with other Toyotas I've had. No serious problems-- just not as nice. I've had it for 7 years and it's served us well. Getting about 15 mpg in town...21 on hwy

Favorite Features

Base model--doesn't have a ton of features!

Suggested Improvements

Better feel and better quality materials. Better fit and finish.