2002 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Love This Old Truck
By cddc on 02/01/14 14:12 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Edmonds does not show the 2002 Toyota V8 SR5 Access Cab Tundra so I am putting it in with the 4X4 version.

6,803 of 6,843 people found this review helpful
Great Truck, but You Need to Know...
By the3rdfinger on 11/11/11 09:06 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just purchased this truck used with 100,000 miles on it. Since then I have discovered two things you need to watch out for on this truck: 1. The 4.7L V8 is an interference engine. The service interval is 90,000 miles. If you allow the timing belt to break, it will destroy the valves. Be sure you take this maintenance item into consideration. Have the water pump and idler/tensioner pulleys replaced at the same time you have the belt serviced. Expect to pay $500-$900 for parts and labor. 2. Toyota has issued several recalls for excessive frame corrosion. Check to be sure the frame is not excessively corroded and that the recall items are taken care of.

Great truck
By Jo on 12/11/09 13:29 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new about 8 years ago. I love my truck. V-8 is always responsive, no hesitation, a/c works great even in south Mississippi summers. Transmission is as flawless as the day it was born. The interior has held up wonderfully, only one temp control knob has split on the inside, looking for a new one! On long trips, it's good for about 8 hours before my back gets sore. Exterior has also held up well due to frequent oil changes, tire rotations and wash and wax frequently and this truck will last. No rust. Bed is smaller than a full size pickup, but this is great for parking and moving small loads. Big loads I use the trailer hitch and find a trailer.

Not bad
By Billinin on 03/01/09 04:36 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I've been a Toyota guy for the past 20+ years. I was looking for a vehicle to pull a mid-size fishing boat. Got the base 6 cyl long bed. It's been an okay truck but not on par with other Toyotas I've had. No serious problems-- just not as nice. I've had it for 7 years and it's served us well. Getting about 15 mpg in town...21 on hwy

2002 Tundra Limited Edition
By shawnl2 on 01/25/09 16:02 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for nearly 7 years and have been very pleased with the overall quality. I work in the construction service industry and thought I would regret not buying 4WD. Glad I did not waste my money this truck handles very well off road with the 2WD. The ride is very comfortable both on and off road, could be the TRD package assisting with this? My overall gas mileage is approximately 16-17 mpg (this is using cruise control and driving a little over the speed limit). I have 133K miles on this truck and have never had to replace anything major on the engine (just routine service i.e. timing belt and bearings). My only complaint is how touchy the O2 senors are. Very dependable!

Good Truck
By Luke on 06/11/08 10:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck handles great and I have damaged it a lot and never any damage to the tough frame. Toyota has made a very reliable truck, I have put 80000 miles on it and have had no damage to any parts or engine, all damage has been cosmetic due to me. The only thing you have to do is change the oil and brakes. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Not a bad truck
By Yonsson on 05/27/08 09:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the truck with 45,000 miles on it and currently have 65,000. So far it hasn't needed anything besides the routine PMs. I change the oil every 4,000 and flush the trans fluid every 20,000 because I'm a freak about my drivetrain, I wrecked a lot of my GMs from hurting those. I haven't had any problems with my rotors warping but my brakes are pretty spongy, lots of travel in the pedal. It can haul the equipment youll need unless you get crazy with it. Acceleration is not bad but it hauls on the high end. Fuel mileage is 13 to 16 mpg so you can pass the pump that often. Otherwise not a bad truck.

Great Vehicle
By Dave on 04/21/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has been totally trouble free. Everything is very well thought out. It drives almost exactly the same as when I drove it off the lot. The engine is quiet and very smooth and the suspension is awesome: it drives the same whether the bed is empty or filled to its capacity. It's become an old friend.

Good truck!!
By tarheel tundra on 04/01/08 09:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck since new and it probably saved my life in an accident when I ran up on the rear end of broken down snowplow parked in the middle of an unplowed road on an extreme downhill. Get one with ABS and Lmt. Slip if you can. Mileage is ok 11 city / 17 hwy but the engine is butter and I've loaded over a ton of used bricks/construction debris in the back and hauled it to the dump no problem. Not very nimble (turning radius is quite wide) but dependable and well thought out. Has required only routine maintenance and a couple covered TSBs (O2 Sensors) in its 35,000 miles. I'd buy again but I'd have bought an Ex. Cab in hindsight and gone with the 6 cyl.

My Tundra
By scottd on 10/12/07 16:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

7 years and the truck looks brand new! Standard Lexus engine was a dream in this truck. No repairs have been needed, only one set of tires and 3 new batteries (eats them up for some reason?). Mileage, I'm still getting 21 mpg around town and 28 highway! Would have to offer me a lot to trade, all new trucks can't come close.