Used 2001 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

efficiency compromised by style
By Timothy Trelease

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

The only vehicles I have ever owned have been long-lasting Toyota pick up trucks. After owning the Tundra, I am ready to switch makes, which I never thought I would do. This vehicle guzzles gas, makes too much noise, and never seems able to find the right gear. I am willing to give up some comfort to get more efficiency.

The interior is very comfortable, very large when the arm rest is up, and the back seat works for my son's car seat.

Make a hybrid and take more responsibility for the environment. I can't drive this truck with a clear conscience. Toyota has sold out and I want to get out!

Tundra Champ
By jegaco

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

As always the seems to be as good as the first one we owned. That one lasted for 340k before it died. Sorry GM, Dodge, and Ford, you still have Toyota to chase.

The plain fact that, this truck will get my wife to and from without any worries.

Better lowend power and a 3/4 ton rating.

Tundrabolt
By bobafett

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Love the truck. It is very powerful and responsive. Milage is Ok - around 16 mpg overall 18 on the highway.No mechanical problems.

Good ergonomics for the driver. Comfortable captains chairs

More room is needed for the back seat. This has probably taken care of with the new 4 - door.

disappointed
By automatic

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I was driving the Tacoma, and could not wait to get the Tundra, it was my third Toyota. I was very pleased with the overall hanlding, ride and comfort of the Tundra. The accelaration is smooth and powerful. It rides great with or without a full load in the bed. I was a satisified owner. Then some problems started to surface. It is now on the third oxygen sensor. In Nov. '03 the transmission started acting up. Fortunately I had the extended warranty, because in Mar'04 it failed and had to replaced. The rebuilt is not working very well. I'm not so satisfied any longer.

smooth engine

dang good truck
By love-it

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I owned three 4x4 Toyota trucks in the last 25 years then bought a 4x4 Dodge. A year later went back to Toyota. Reliability counts for a lot and this is the most reliable truck I have owned. I have been pulling a 24 foot boat on flat land and can't even tell its there.

Responsive engine proformance, sound system

More of an angle in the back seat, but then I dive it not ride in the back seat. Looks like they fixed it in the 2004's

• SUV