Used 2001 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

I luv my TUNDRA
By RJCJ

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I owned my first toy.truck in 1993 and it was a DOG. I purchased a 4-rnnr in 2000 and in a flip and roll accident it spared 3 lives and not 1. I purchased the tundra in 2001 and never looked back. The truck is a workhorse and with the exception of the oxygen sensor (which Toyota recalled in Nov 2004 and paid for my previous related expense) it performs better, rides better and handle better than any truck or SUV I've ever owned. The only other truck I would like to have is the new toyato truck I saw at an auto show. I can't remember the name but will surely remember the look when it arrives in the showroom.

Favorite Features

PULLING POWER- handles beautifully while pulling my boat or loaded trailer.

Suggested Improvements

none

Best half ton ever made
By xgermx7

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for 4 years and 84,000 miles and I still love it. It is still just like the day I bought it, minus the fact that I have just about scrapped all the paint out of the bed. It is smooth, quiet, roomy, and fast like a luxury sedan, but tougher than any other half ton that I have ever driven. It gets 17-18 mpg on average. That's a good combination of city, highway, and interstate. It can get as low as 14 mpg if you have a heavy foot.

Favorite Features

Excellent take off and passing power. Very smooth and quiet ride. Tows great. Great payload. High ground clearance. Good mpg for a V8. Excellent stopping distance. High quality interior. 6 cup holders. Comfortable seats. Unbeatable reliability. Just put gas in it and go.

Suggested Improvements

The rear seat could be a little bigger, but I can't complain. It has gotten the job done. If I wanted bigger, I should have waited for the double cab. Full time all wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive. That new 5 speed auto would have been nice too. Nothing really, I am just meticulous.

2001 Tundra
By Jdun

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We love our vehicle and it has performed so well that our local mechanic wants to buy it if/when we decide to sell it. Quiet and comfortable and good mileage-as high as 19mpg on the highway.

efficiency compromised by style
By Timothy Trelease

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

The only vehicles I have ever owned have been long-lasting Toyota pick up trucks. After owning the Tundra, I am ready to switch makes, which I never thought I would do. This vehicle guzzles gas, makes too much noise, and never seems able to find the right gear. I am willing to give up some comfort to get more efficiency.

Favorite Features

The interior is very comfortable, very large when the arm rest is up, and the back seat works for my son's car seat.

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybrid and take more responsibility for the environment. I can't drive this truck with a clear conscience. Toyota has sold out and I want to get out!

Tundra Champ
By jegaco

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

As always the seems to be as good as the first one we owned. That one lasted for 340k before it died. Sorry GM, Dodge, and Ford, you still have Toyota to chase.

Favorite Features

The plain fact that, this truck will get my wife to and from without any worries.

Suggested Improvements

Better lowend power and a 3/4 ton rating.