Used 2001 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

2001 Tundra Ext Cab V8
By BC

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2001 Tundra for almost 4 years now, and I have put 50K miles on it so far. I have loved everything about this truck so far. Reliability has been excellent. I have taken the truck to the dealership once when an O2 sensor went out (fairly common problem among Tundras). The warranty fixed it for free. The gas mileage is as advertised (about 18 mpg on the highway), and the 26 gallon fuel tank gives me plenty of range. I can fit a baby seat in the back seat, but the front seat will be a tad tight. I am 6'4", and I have plenty of room in the front seats. The back seats are OK for short trips, but I would not want to be back there for more than an hour or so on trips.

Interior design, smooth engine and transmission

Needs a switch to turn off bed cargo light

I thought Toyota was the best
By Disenchanted

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Paint peeled around both front fender wheel well guards. A leaf spring broke and I don't go off-roading or carry any heavy loads. Loud ticking noise heard inside engine when engine is cold. Noise subsides slightly after engine warms up. Sounds like a collapsed lifter or wrist pin issue. In winter, I canít turn the heater knob to the defrost position until the cab warms up. Is this quality?

The truck has great curb appeal.

Fix complaints in review above.

I luv my TUNDRA
By RJCJ

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I owned my first toy.truck in 1993 and it was a DOG. I purchased a 4-rnnr in 2000 and in a flip and roll accident it spared 3 lives and not 1. I purchased the tundra in 2001 and never looked back. The truck is a workhorse and with the exception of the oxygen sensor (which Toyota recalled in Nov 2004 and paid for my previous related expense) it performs better, rides better and handle better than any truck or SUV I've ever owned. The only other truck I would like to have is the new toyato truck I saw at an auto show. I can't remember the name but will surely remember the look when it arrives in the showroom.

PULLING POWER- handles beautifully while pulling my boat or loaded trailer.

none

Best half ton ever made
By xgermx7

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for 4 years and 84,000 miles and I still love it. It is still just like the day I bought it, minus the fact that I have just about scrapped all the paint out of the bed. It is smooth, quiet, roomy, and fast like a luxury sedan, but tougher than any other half ton that I have ever driven. It gets 17-18 mpg on average. That's a good combination of city, highway, and interstate. It can get as low as 14 mpg if you have a heavy foot.

Excellent take off and passing power. Very smooth and quiet ride. Tows great. Great payload. High ground clearance. Good mpg for a V8. Excellent stopping distance. High quality interior. 6 cup holders. Comfortable seats. Unbeatable reliability. Just put gas in it and go.

The rear seat could be a little bigger, but I can't complain. It has gotten the job done. If I wanted bigger, I should have waited for the double cab. Full time all wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive. That new 5 speed auto would have been nice too. Nothing really, I am just meticulous.

2001 Tundra
By Jdun

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We love our vehicle and it has performed so well that our local mechanic wants to buy it if/when we decide to sell it. Quiet and comfortable and good mileage-as high as 19mpg on the highway.

• SUV