2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Excellent truck
By BobN on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had no regrets buying this truck and get many compliments on it. After 2 years truck is very solid and gas mileage is not too bad for a large vehicle (I get 17 mpg hwy/cty combined). Was very pleased with crash test results compared to other trucks. Only problems to mention are weak and easy to warp brake rotors (I am very easy on the brakes too!), plastic trim piece that houses radio, etc. that pops and makes noise when it is cold, some valve train noise when cold (typical japanese), and a squeaking noise from somewhere under the hood when cold. Most of these are not terrible things but ones I have noticed over time.

Best V-6 Truck on the market
By Nancy Pilotte on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

After test driving all full-size trucks on the market found this one to be the best. Smooth quiet ride,better fit & finish than Dodge,GM or Ford. Engines are more advanced than domestics. V-6 is not fast but strong & steady no matter what the load. Interior materials & finish far superior to domestics. Avergage about 18-20 mpg. '01 models built better than '00 trucks. Sloppy assembly evident in dented radiator and mis-aligned bed. Otherwise an excellent truck.

Too great to under-rate!
By DWilly on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new. Unbelievable ride for 4WD..... smoooooooth and powerful. Usess a little too much gas, but does run on regular 87 octane (cheapest). Dependable, great looking, eye- catching, fun to drive (especially on the beach). Great on or off road. Plenty room for two and comfortable. Luxury of a Lexus.

My 2001 Tundra SR-5 Access Cab V8
By DrZ on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Tundra as soon as it hit the market. I have not regretted my decision since. The gas milage (14.5 mpg) can be improved by adding a flowmaster 50 behind the convertor and duals from that. I now get 16 city and a bit over 20 on trips. I have loaded the bed with 1.25 tons of floor tiles and the suspension was close but did not bottom. Great truck! This AM I hit 44000 miles and had the check engine light come on. All the manual says is take it in to the dealership. I will do so and will drive my tundra until the wheels fall off which I believe will not be for a very long time.

Awesome truck
By Will Brock on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Got everything on my truck except the spare tire lock and really love the look and feel of the truck. It drives very nice and it's overall quality is great, save for a slight low speed air conditioner fan noise. The 4X4 on the fly is great especially for snow/ice driving and have no trouble driving or stopping in the inclement weather. Pulls evething I have wanted. I baby the truck, but I also use it for remodeling houses and everthing else. You pay for what you get and I would do it again without hesitation.

Too much money, too many problems
By Carl Hazleton on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Tundra is BAD,BAD,BAD on gas! About 10 miles to the gallon! Shifts like crap! 2 sets of brakes in 25000 miles! The brakes have no feel to them. THe truck has NO torqe under 3000 rpm. Not good at all for pulling even with only 500 lbs in the bed! The truck has used 4 rear Tires due to wheel spin under load. 30300 dollars spent on truck"not worth it!".Motor World is a very unfriendly dealership to add to my pain. I should have bought a Ford. Toyta should not build full size trucks and Motor World should not sell them! My Pontiac Trans AM got better mileage with a 400hp 455ci motor and would out tow this truck any day! I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS TRUCK TO REAL TRUCK GUYS!

Toyota Corp. refuses service
By Slpless on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Tundra will not stop squeaking and popping. I have been to the dealer 4 times and all they will do is lube the leaf springs. Finally on the 4th visit they tell me they are not going to fix the problem because Toyota will not reimburse them for repairs. The 1st Tech that came out told me that itÂ’s a common problem and that I need new leaf springs. The Service Mgr. then came out and said that Toyota is aware of the problem but will not do anything about it because not enough people have complained. Their fix for this problem is to bring it in and let them lube the springs every time the squeaking exists. As soon as I drive off of the lot it starts again.

awsome toyo-ata
By steve higginbotham on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Rides better than most high-line cars. Push the peddle and watch the gauges respond. This truck ROCKS.......

Under Powered
By Joel on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a new toyota truck and have been disapointed the longer I have had it. It is not able to pull the heavy loads that I wanted too. I bought a new trailer for my business and it just does'nt have the power to pull like I need. It is really underpowered, unless you just drive it to Lowes Hardware etc... I have also had a few problems, one is with some interior noise and an air conditioning problem. I have been underwhelmed with the performance of this vehicle.

Under Powered
By joel on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)