2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Toyota Tundra
By Greg Jensen on 12/21/05 19:43 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have 55000 miles on my Tundra and have never had to bring it in for repairs. Not even a recall! This truck has plenty of power and feels solid as a rock! No rattles or viabrations. Excellent mileage when not towing. Average around 17 MPG.

It's almost perfect
By Todd on 12/14/05 18:59 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My parents bought this car in 2004 with about 45,000 miles on it. The truck is smooth, powerful, quiet, confidence inspiring. We have been averaging 19 mpg in town and about 21 on the freeway w/out 4 wheel drive. Pretty good for a V8 and heavy truck. The only problem is the transmission...It works wonderfully until you have to tow your heavy trailer! 6500 pounds down hill broke the weaker parts in the Tranny, atleast it was safe enough to drive the rest of the way home! Otherwise, great truck...does that kill the point of having a truck? I tend to think so.

As good as full size trucks get
By roundel on 09/23/05 12:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall I don't htink you can do much better. For a full size truck this is a great compromise. It is possible to park is a small parinking garage and yet is great off road and can still haul your family and pull a good size boat. It is a bit expensive, and has some low quality parts, but that is the japanese way. It is also the most reliable vehile I have ever owned. So if you really want a truck ... this is not it, and if you areally need a car.. this is not it. But a really great compromise.

2001 Tundra Ext Cab V8
By BC on 04/28/05 14:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2001 Tundra for almost 4 years now, and I have put 50K miles on it so far. I have loved everything about this truck so far. Reliability has been excellent. I have taken the truck to the dealership once when an O2 sensor went out (fairly common problem among Tundras). The warranty fixed it for free. The gas mileage is as advertised (about 18 mpg on the highway), and the 26 gallon fuel tank gives me plenty of range. I can fit a baby seat in the back seat, but the front seat will be a tad tight. I am 6'4", and I have plenty of room in the front seats. The back seats are OK for short trips, but I would not want to be back there for more than an hour or so on trips.

I thought Toyota was the best
By Disenchanted on 04/05/05 17:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Paint peeled around both front fender wheel well guards. A leaf spring broke and I don't go off-roading or carry any heavy loads. Loud ticking noise heard inside engine when engine is cold. Noise subsides slightly after engine warms up. Sounds like a collapsed lifter or wrist pin issue. In winter, I can’t turn the heater knob to the defrost position until the cab warms up. Is this quality?

I luv my TUNDRA
By RJCJ on 03/25/05 11:31 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I owned my first toy.truck in 1993 and it was a DOG. I purchased a 4-rnnr in 2000 and in a flip and roll accident it spared 3 lives and not 1. I purchased the tundra in 2001 and never looked back. The truck is a workhorse and with the exception of the oxygen sensor (which Toyota recalled in Nov 2004 and paid for my previous related expense) it performs better, rides better and handle better than any truck or SUV I've ever owned. The only other truck I would like to have is the new toyato truck I saw at an auto show. I can't remember the name but will surely remember the look when it arrives in the showroom.

Best half ton ever made
By xgermx7 on 03/13/05 15:45 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for 4 years and 84,000 miles and I still love it. It is still just like the day I bought it, minus the fact that I have just about scrapped all the paint out of the bed. It is smooth, quiet, roomy, and fast like a luxury sedan, but tougher than any other half ton that I have ever driven. It gets 17-18 mpg on average. That's a good combination of city, highway, and interstate. It can get as low as 14 mpg if you have a heavy foot.

2001 Tundra
By Jdun on 11/26/04 09:34 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We love our vehicle and it has performed so well that our local mechanic wants to buy it if/when we decide to sell it. Quiet and comfortable and good mileage-as high as 19mpg on the highway.

efficiency compromised by style
By Timothy Trelease on 11/10/04 13:44 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

The only vehicles I have ever owned have been long-lasting Toyota pick up trucks. After owning the Tundra, I am ready to switch makes, which I never thought I would do. This vehicle guzzles gas, makes too much noise, and never seems able to find the right gear. I am willing to give up some comfort to get more efficiency.

Tundra Champ
By jegaco on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

As always the seems to be as good as the first one we owned. That one lasted for 340k before it died. Sorry GM, Dodge, and Ford, you still have Toyota to chase.