Used 2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Great truck
By r smith

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck new and have been very pleased. No major mechanical issues, but a few items to note, front brakes are undersized for the size of the truck and have to be replaced more often than normal. Paint job dulled in 06 and o2 sensors keep going out. Truck does great off road, I put a leveling kit on the front and an all around 3" body lift, looks great. Overall a great investment, Ive been driving the truck daily and it is very dependable.

Getty up

Bigger front brakes

Just bought
By bighead

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2001 tundra with 55,000 miles on it from the original owner. It's in almost new condition. This truck has bucket seat that I don't care for. The arm rest is too small for me but I can live with it. This truck is really sharp looking and has the trd package. I love this truck already but haven't even owned it 24 hours yet and will report back any likes and dislikes with it.

4 doors and the awesome power.

Maybe a bigger back seat but who cares I'm not riding back there any time soon!

My Best Vehicle Ever!
By AZ RLC

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine new and currently have 190,000 miles on the truck. I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt and and the power steering lines, all around 100K. Other than the regular maint stuff there have been NO problems only some rattles, which are because of the 2 miles of washboard road that I have driven over 6 days/ week for the last 3 years (plus driving through a small river to boot). It is the Lexus of trucks and I plan on reaching 300,000 if I continue to run synthetic oils. No real towing besides a 2500 mile move pulling a 7000lb trailer. I love this truck, and nearly bought another 2001 last year.

Nearly 200,000 miles of trouble free driving.

I have always hated the access doors, and the interior defroster is weak. Bigger stock tires, which they have changed.

Not perfect, but pretty close
By Andy Bats

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck - 7 years old, but only 35K miles. A couple of things that have made me unhappy - O2 sensors went out, but were replaced under warranty. Asked dealership EVERY SINGLE TIME I took the truck in for service, if the "clunk" noises from the power windows was normal, and was told yes. First service after 3 year/36K warranty expired, my window regulator bolts were loose and needed to be tightened - $185 per door. Cracked exhaust manifold - $1400 to repair - put Doug Thorley headers on for <$1K, made a huge improvement in the fuel mileage and performance.

Ride, comfort, styling, durability. Exceptionally smooth engine & transmission (switched to synthetic at first transmission service - man, what a difference - shifts as smooth as waxed glass). Only run premium unleaded, though - it is a Lexus engine (same as the LS400 series), expensive to replace!!

Telecoping steering wheel, auto up & down on both front windows; better build integrity. Seatbelts that actually retract when you take them off (instead of getting stuck in the door jamb and scratching the paint).

2001 Toyota Tundra with 203,000 miles
By Ron Sweeney

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck new in 2001. I have 203,000 miles on it and it still does not burn any more oil then it did when new. My only problem with it is the under designed brakes. Toyota admits that the braking system was under design, but would not help the consumer with the problem if the consumer was beyond the 36,000 mile warranty period. I drive a good deal of highway miles (75%), so my brake usage was not typical. But Toyota would not help me. Not even a discount on an upgrade. Consequently, the brake pads and rotors need replacing more often then necessary. Cost a lot of money.