2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
2001 Tundra
By paychek on 04/05/08 22:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall I've been very happy with the performance & quality of this truck. Not happy with the poor gas mileage but I guess it takes fuel to make power. Also it has a vibration at certain speeds (~65mph). I've had many attempts made at fixing the issue, including alignments, wheel balancing (including lug centric), wheel check, replacement of rotors, shocks & different brands of tires. A set of Michelins seem to make the biggest difference. With all of the work done it still has a vibration from the front end at about 65mph. Add a manifold leak to issues.

Best truck we ever owned
By Trundra Limited 4.7 on 04/05/08 03:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This has been the most reliable and comfortable truck we have ever owned. Great design and never a problem. We have 115k two sets of tires so far and never a failure of any kind.

Does good in the mud
By Doc on 03/29/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's a good running truck plenty of horse power. Already had to replace the rack and pinion bushings and just snapped the pinion gear on the ring and pinion in the snow. Not good build quality there. But it's ok its getting converted to straight axle in the front to get it lifted the way I want on 38 inch tires now it sits on 33 inch mud terrains had it stuck in mud up past the doors twice now and getting a grabber green paint job. I could not ask for a better truck. I hate the push button four wheel drive and the fact you can't get a manual transmission that's gonna be chaged soon though.

Oldie but a Goodie
By woof on 10/16/07 23:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck, despite the fact that the bed isn't quite 8' long. I carry hay, horse feed, fencing, manure, firewood and building supplies and pull a 2 horse trailer without any problems. My biggest complaint is its inability to move forward in heavy gravel or on any kind of slippery surface (mud), even with a load. The configuration of the back doors is awful! You have to play musical doors to put groceries in the back seat. No leg room for adults in back seat. This model came with Tacoma brakes, which created problems. Dealer installed Land Cruiser brakes at no charge. 75K miles to date, no mechanical problems, and 18 to 22 mpg with a soft foot and summer tires!

Still crazy
By velobella on 09/14/07 06:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 01 from a used lot w/10k on it and haven't looked back! I've put nearly 145k on this baby, commuting daily. Only drawback is gas mileage, but great work truck! I've driven many a truck but my Toyota is like driving a couch! Sure there are problems, squeaky brakes, funky dash noises in cold weather, tinny pinging sound with engine start up in cold weather, but the ride is divine and reliability is tops. I will put another 100k on this puppy. The only thing that hasn't held up is the leather interior, but everything else is tops. I've replaced timing belt at 150k (and it still looked good, but water pump was slightly leaking). Keep up the maintenance, you won't go wrong!

Toyota Quality
By JDA on 10/15/06 09:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new, and it has served me well, quite well. I highly recommend this truck to people who need a truck, but don't need the truck for heavy-duty use; I am a suburban male with dogs, camping equipment, skis, mountain bikes, and I used to have a ski boat. The only problem I have had was with brakes and belt replacement, and the cup holder broke, but was replaced under warranty. There is not much room in the back of the cab, so if you want more room, you should choose a newer model. I have heard this truck referred to as the "Lexus of Trucks" and I have to agree. The most negative aspect of this vehicle is the gas mileage. I average 12-13 in city driving, and 17-18.

Love the power it there when I need it.
By accesscab SDR5 on 09/03/06 20:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It rides and drives like a car . Smooth and quiet I really like that .It will carry about anything you load in the bed. It's just a very good truck thats all.

Be careful w/ used trucks.
By Isaac on 03/23/06 05:02 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my truck sept. of last year. Many transmission problems, finally in 01/06 shop had to put a rebuilt transmission. It took 2wks to come from warranty co. and the first trans. didn't work. Shop had to order another and it finally worked. My truck was in the shop for one month. I had only put an additional 3000 mls. since date of purchase. I was stranded 83 mls. from fresno coming back from vacation. Speakers are starting to go. For as much as I paid should have bought a new one. DON'T FIX THINGS UNDER WARRANTY THE CHEAPEST WAY POSSIBLE!!!

Toyota Tundra
By Greg Jensen on 12/21/05 19:43 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have 55000 miles on my Tundra and have never had to bring it in for repairs. Not even a recall! This truck has plenty of power and feels solid as a rock! No rattles or viabrations. Excellent mileage when not towing. Average around 17 MPG.

It's almost perfect
By Todd on 12/14/05 18:59 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My parents bought this car in 2004 with about 45,000 miles on it. The truck is smooth, powerful, quiet, confidence inspiring. We have been averaging 19 mpg in town and about 21 on the freeway w/out 4 wheel drive. Pretty good for a V8 and heavy truck. The only problem is the transmission...It works wonderfully until you have to tow your heavy trailer! 6500 pounds down hill broke the weaker parts in the Tranny, atleast it was safe enough to drive the rest of the way home! Otherwise, great truck...does that kill the point of having a truck? I tend to think so.