Used 2001 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Most Helpful|
nothing special, just reliable
By young123

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been excellent except for some minor things. The dash makes a rubbing creaking sound whenever there is a temperature change. The gas mileage seems a little low, ( around 10- 12 in town, 15 on the highway.

Favorite Features

toyota reliability.

Suggested Improvements

It seems they have addressed alot of the issues on the 2004 model. For example: connecting the center console forward to the dash, and the appearance of the front end.

Under Powered
By joel

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a new toyota truck and have been disapointed the longer I have had it. It is not able to pull the heavy loads that I wanted too. I bought a new trailer for my business and it just does'nt have the power to pull like I need. It is really underpowered, unless you just drive it to Lowes Hardware etc... I have also had a few problems, one is with some interior noise and an air conditioning problem. I have been underwhelmed with the performance of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

I kind of like the ride of the ride of the truck. It seems to do pretty good around town and so-so on the highway. I also like the fact that it has good viewing angles in the sight-line.

Suggested Improvements

I wold like to suggest that they improve on the overall character of the truck. I had a toyota corolla that I got one hudred fifty thousand miles out of before I had to sell it. This truck has not been as reliable as that little car was.

Toyota Corp. refuses service
By Slpless

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Tundra will not stop squeaking and popping. I have been to the dealer 4 times and all they will do is lube the leaf springs. Finally on the 4th visit they tell me they are not going to fix the problem because Toyota will not reimburse them for repairs. The 1st Tech that came out told me that itís a common problem and that I need new leaf springs. The Service Mgr. then came out and said that Toyota is aware of the problem but will not do anything about it because not enough people have complained. Their fix for this problem is to bring it in and let them lube the springs every time the squeaking exists. As soon as I drive off of the lot it starts again.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to take care of their customers in a more respectable manner. This is the poorest excuse I have ever heard from a car manufacturer.

Under Powered
By Joel

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Suggested Improvements

Be careful w/ used trucks.
By Isaac

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my truck sept. of last year. Many transmission problems, finally in 01/06 shop had to put a rebuilt transmission. It took 2wks to come from warranty co. and the first trans. didn't work. Shop had to order another and it finally worked. My truck was in the shop for one month. I had only put an additional 3000 mls. since date of purchase. I was stranded 83 mls. from fresno coming back from vacation. Speakers are starting to go. For as much as I paid should have bought a new one. DON'T FIX THINGS UNDER WARRANTY THE CHEAPEST WAY POSSIBLE!!!

Favorite Features

The way it looks. When it's running good it's okay.