Used 2001 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

135,000 miles and loving it
By clintncrys

2001 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SR5 V8 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used, but have loved it the entire time. It is comfortable for a full-size truck, and super reliable. It isn't capable of doing super heavy duty towing, but I haven't come up against anything that I need to pull, but can't - it's just not a diesel.

Suggested Improvements

The clips on the access cab door windows are weak. I repaired one that was broken when I got it, and now the other one is broken.

Excellent Truck
By Jack

2001 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SR5 V8 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The only mechanical problem I have had with this truck was the odemeter quit working at 300 miles. The Toyota warranty covered this repair and I haven't had any other problems with the truck in 61/2 years. I towed a 17' boat for the first 3 years, and never had any problem pulling the 2000 pound boat and trailer through the Black Hills. Normally while towing I could do 62 miles per hour at 3000 RPMs. The toyota Tundra's offroad capabilities depend on the tires you choose to put on the truck. I do a lot of off-road driving for work in the Black Hills through a lot of mud and snow. I changed out the factory tires for a set of BF Goodrich All-terrains and have never been stuck.

Favorite Features

The V-8 engine, Smooth ride with excellent acceleration. I have had no mechanical problems with this motor. With the right tires, this 245 horsepower truck will take you through snow and mud with no problem.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is the gas mileage. I get 13 MPG with my heavy foot. The 2007 V-6 engine has 236 horsepower (which is enough for my needs) and gets 20 miles per gallon. However, you cannot purchase this model truck in 4WD which is crucial for traveling in snow country.

THUNDRA OR THUNDER
By bart

2001 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

THE POWER STEERING PUMP WENT OUT AT 2800 MILES, THE WATER PUMP WENT OUT AT 11000 MILES.THE TRUCK IS GREAT BUT SO FAR NOT REALIBLE.