2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
excellent truck
By kevinlee123 on 03/31/12 21:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

drove this truck since i bought it has 127,500miles on it, so far so good,fell like a new luxury sedan.full power,good ac,good sound system(tape/cd), it will last long.no issues. save lots of money

Finest built truck
By rob220 on 02/28/12 17:00 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 218k from my good friend right before he passed away and he used it not only to commute around 130 miles a day but also on a farm towing full hay wagons through fields and other farm stuff. It now has 237k and in that distance the only problem I had was the starter went.Yes the exhaust manifolds leak but it's been that way since I got it one year ago. the timing belt is probably original along with the oxy sensors but I toasted a 2010 f150 5.4 triton last week with it and it didn't care. I have yet to this day found anything that my stock 01 tundra couldn't do, It still runs and stops great.

Great, reliable truck
By lwdngwruvz on 06/21/11 22:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck based on Toyota's customer service and durability of my 1990 Toyota 4x4 pickup. Anyway, about this truck... Excellent durability, reliability and really fun to drive. I am tall, so the headroom is awesome. Plenty of power for my needs, great braking and very comfortable. The tires that come from the factory wore out way too quick. I have had to replace two O2 sensors, which is a bummer. I have had to replace two latches for the rear windows. Other than that, I have had no problems with this vehicle. I try to perform regular maintenance, but I slip quit a bit.

Awesome Truck
By dukeno1 on 01/29/11 14:36 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in May 2001. I now have 227,000 miles on it. The only work I have done on it in that time is a timing belt (due for another), all 4 o2 sensors, and at least 4-5 brake jobs on the front. That is my only complaint with the truck. The brakes are woefully undersized and I have trouble with warped rotors. I tow a boat in the summer and I believe that exacerbates the issue. I have gotten proficient at changing the pads and rotors so not that big of a deal. I have ran Mobil 1 synthetic since the second oil change and swear by the stuff. The engine on this truck has been amazing.....quiet, powerful and refined. Everything is still tight and rattle free! Love it!

Because I Love My Truck!
By MadMarv on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Tundra just over a month ago from a great used car dealer in Poulsbo, WA. The truck had 107K on it at delivery. It had just one previous owner who also is local and had obviously taken good care of it but enjoyed using it as well. It is a joy to drive, and I have good peace of mind that, like all other Toyotas I've owned, it'll take good care of me for hundreds of thousands of miles. I have the whole service history from the dealer, and the only part that went bad on that truck was a rear O2 sensor. I've already tested its off-road capabilities an an orv park here and it was almost boring because of how well it did. C'mon winter!

Great truck
By r smith on 02/17/10 11:50 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck new and have been very pleased. No major mechanical issues, but a few items to note, front brakes are undersized for the size of the truck and have to be replaced more often than normal. Paint job dulled in 06 and o2 sensors keep going out. Truck does great off road, I put a leveling kit on the front and an all around 3" body lift, looks great. Overall a great investment, Ive been driving the truck daily and it is very dependable.

Just bought
By bighead on 10/19/09 18:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2001 tundra with 55,000 miles on it from the original owner. It's in almost new condition. This truck has bucket seat that I don't care for. The arm rest is too small for me but I can live with it. This truck is really sharp looking and has the trd package. I love this truck already but haven't even owned it 24 hours yet and will report back any likes and dislikes with it.

My Best Vehicle Ever!
By AZ RLC on 01/11/09 01:49 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine new and currently have 190,000 miles on the truck. I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt and and the power steering lines, all around 100K. Other than the regular maint stuff there have been NO problems only some rattles, which are because of the 2 miles of washboard road that I have driven over 6 days/ week for the last 3 years (plus driving through a small river to boot). It is the Lexus of trucks and I plan on reaching 300,000 if I continue to run synthetic oils. No real towing besides a 2500 mile move pulling a 7000lb trailer. I love this truck, and nearly bought another 2001 last year.

Not perfect, but pretty close
By Andy Bats on 06/23/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck - 7 years old, but only 35K miles. A couple of things that have made me unhappy - O2 sensors went out, but were replaced under warranty. Asked dealership EVERY SINGLE TIME I took the truck in for service, if the "clunk" noises from the power windows was normal, and was told yes. First service after 3 year/36K warranty expired, my window regulator bolts were loose and needed to be tightened - $185 per door. Cracked exhaust manifold - $1400 to repair - put Doug Thorley headers on for <$1K, made a huge improvement in the fuel mileage and performance.

2001 Toyota Tundra with 203,000 miles
By Ron Sweeney on 05/28/08 15:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck new in 2001. I have 203,000 miles on it and it still does not burn any more oil then it did when new. My only problem with it is the under designed brakes. Toyota admits that the braking system was under design, but would not help the consumer with the problem if the consumer was beyond the 36,000 mile warranty period. I drive a good deal of highway miles (75%), so my brake usage was not typical. But Toyota would not help me. Not even a discount on an upgrade. Consequently, the brake pads and rotors need replacing more often then necessary. Cost a lot of money.