2001 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

2001 Tundra Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
135,000 miles and loving it
By clintncrys

2001 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 V8 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used, but have loved it the entire time. It is comfortable for a full-size truck, and super reliable. It isn't capable of doing super heavy duty towing, but I haven't come up against anything that I need to pull, but can't - it's just not a diesel.

Suggested Improvements

The clips on the access cab door windows are weak. I repaired one that was broken when I got it, and now the other one is broken.

excellent truck
By kevinlee123

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

drove this truck since i bought it has 127,500miles on it, so far so good,fell like a new luxury sedan.full power,good ac,good sound system(tape/cd), it will last long.no issues. save lots of money

Favorite Features

engine performance, lot of space, sr5 features.

Suggested Improvements

none

Finest built truck
By rob220

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 218k from my good friend right before he passed away and he used it not only to commute around 130 miles a day but also on a farm towing full hay wagons through fields and other farm stuff. It now has 237k and in that distance the only problem I had was the starter went.Yes the exhaust manifolds leak but it's been that way since I got it one year ago. the timing belt is probably original along with the oxy sensors but I toasted a 2010 f150 5.4 triton last week with it and it didn't care. I have yet to this day found anything that my stock 01 tundra couldn't do, It still runs and stops great.

Great, reliable truck
By lwdngwruvz

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck based on Toyota's customer service and durability of my 1990 Toyota 4x4 pickup. Anyway, about this truck... Excellent durability, reliability and really fun to drive. I am tall, so the headroom is awesome. Plenty of power for my needs, great braking and very comfortable. The tires that come from the factory wore out way too quick. I have had to replace two O2 sensors, which is a bummer. I have had to replace two latches for the rear windows. Other than that, I have had no problems with this vehicle. I try to perform regular maintenance, but I slip quit a bit.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, interior comfort, smooth ride, very comfortable on long drives. Powerful, user-friendly electronics.

Suggested Improvements

O2 Sensors, Rear window latches, better tires from the factory.

Awesome Truck
By dukeno1

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in May 2001. I now have 227,000 miles on it. The only work I have done on it in that time is a timing belt (due for another), all 4 o2 sensors, and at least 4-5 brake jobs on the front. That is my only complaint with the truck. The brakes are woefully undersized and I have trouble with warped rotors. I tow a boat in the summer and I believe that exacerbates the issue. I have gotten proficient at changing the pads and rotors so not that big of a deal. I have ran Mobil 1 synthetic since the second oil change and swear by the stuff. The engine on this truck has been amazing.....quiet, powerful and refined. Everything is still tight and rattle free! Love it!

Favorite Features

4wd , paint job has held up great.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes!!!!

Because I Love My Truck!
By MadMarv

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Tundra just over a month ago from a great used car dealer in Poulsbo, WA. The truck had 107K on it at delivery. It had just one previous owner who also is local and had obviously taken good care of it but enjoyed using it as well. It is a joy to drive, and I have good peace of mind that, like all other Toyotas I've owned, it'll take good care of me for hundreds of thousands of miles. I have the whole service history from the dealer, and the only part that went bad on that truck was a rear O2 sensor. I've already tested its off-road capabilities an an orv park here and it was almost boring because of how well it did. C'mon winter!

Favorite Features

Toyota build quality and reliability, the comfort, the solid feeling it has, it's performance on and off-road.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage could be better in the city. The armrest sits just a little too high for my taste, so I don't use it. The 4wd hi/lo buttons could be mounted a little higher. That's all I can think of, and that's really nitpicking.

Great truck
By r smith

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck new and have been very pleased. No major mechanical issues, but a few items to note, front brakes are undersized for the size of the truck and have to be replaced more often than normal. Paint job dulled in 06 and o2 sensors keep going out. Truck does great off road, I put a leveling kit on the front and an all around 3" body lift, looks great. Overall a great investment, Ive been driving the truck daily and it is very dependable.

Favorite Features

Getty up

Suggested Improvements

Bigger front brakes

Just bought
By bighead

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2001 tundra with 55,000 miles on it from the original owner. It's in almost new condition. This truck has bucket seat that I don't care for. The arm rest is too small for me but I can live with it. This truck is really sharp looking and has the trd package. I love this truck already but haven't even owned it 24 hours yet and will report back any likes and dislikes with it.

Favorite Features

4 doors and the awesome power.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a bigger back seat but who cares I'm not riding back there any time soon!

My Best Vehicle Ever!
By AZ RLC

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine new and currently have 190,000 miles on the truck. I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt and and the power steering lines, all around 100K. Other than the regular maint stuff there have been NO problems only some rattles, which are because of the 2 miles of washboard road that I have driven over 6 days/ week for the last 3 years (plus driving through a small river to boot). It is the Lexus of trucks and I plan on reaching 300,000 if I continue to run synthetic oils. No real towing besides a 2500 mile move pulling a 7000lb trailer. I love this truck, and nearly bought another 2001 last year.

Favorite Features

Nearly 200,000 miles of trouble free driving.

Suggested Improvements

I have always hated the access doors, and the interior defroster is weak. Bigger stock tires, which they have changed.

Not perfect, but pretty close
By Andy Bats

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck - 7 years old, but only 35K miles. A couple of things that have made me unhappy - O2 sensors went out, but were replaced under warranty. Asked dealership EVERY SINGLE TIME I took the truck in for service, if the "clunk" noises from the power windows was normal, and was told yes. First service after 3 year/36K warranty expired, my window regulator bolts were loose and needed to be tightened - $185 per door. Cracked exhaust manifold - $1400 to repair - put Doug Thorley headers on for <$1K, made a huge improvement in the fuel mileage and performance.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort, styling, durability. Exceptionally smooth engine & transmission (switched to synthetic at first transmission service - man, what a difference - shifts as smooth as waxed glass). Only run premium unleaded, though - it is a Lexus engine (same as the LS400 series), expensive to replace!!

Suggested Improvements

Telecoping steering wheel, auto up & down on both front windows; better build integrity. Seatbelts that actually retract when you take them off (instead of getting stuck in the door jamb and scratching the paint).