Used 2001 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

135,000 miles and loving it
By clintncrys

2001 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 V8 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used, but have loved it the entire time. It is comfortable for a full-size truck, and super reliable. It isn't capable of doing super heavy duty towing, but I haven't come up against anything that I need to pull, but can't - it's just not a diesel.

Suggested Improvements

The clips on the access cab door windows are weak. I repaired one that was broken when I got it, and now the other one is broken.

excellent truck
By kevinlee123

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

drove this truck since i bought it has 127,500miles on it, so far so good,fell like a new luxury sedan.full power,good ac,good sound system(tape/cd), it will last long.no issues. save lots of money

Favorite Features

engine performance, lot of space, sr5 features.

Suggested Improvements

none

Finest built truck
By rob220

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 218k from my good friend right before he passed away and he used it not only to commute around 130 miles a day but also on a farm towing full hay wagons through fields and other farm stuff. It now has 237k and in that distance the only problem I had was the starter went.Yes the exhaust manifolds leak but it's been that way since I got it one year ago. the timing belt is probably original along with the oxy sensors but I toasted a 2010 f150 5.4 triton last week with it and it didn't care. I have yet to this day found anything that my stock 01 tundra couldn't do, It still runs and stops great.

Great, reliable truck
By lwdngwruvz

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck based on Toyota's customer service and durability of my 1990 Toyota 4x4 pickup. Anyway, about this truck... Excellent durability, reliability and really fun to drive. I am tall, so the headroom is awesome. Plenty of power for my needs, great braking and very comfortable. The tires that come from the factory wore out way too quick. I have had to replace two O2 sensors, which is a bummer. I have had to replace two latches for the rear windows. Other than that, I have had no problems with this vehicle. I try to perform regular maintenance, but I slip quit a bit.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, interior comfort, smooth ride, very comfortable on long drives. Powerful, user-friendly electronics.

Suggested Improvements

O2 Sensors, Rear window latches, better tires from the factory.

Awesome Truck
By dukeno1

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in May 2001. I now have 227,000 miles on it. The only work I have done on it in that time is a timing belt (due for another), all 4 o2 sensors, and at least 4-5 brake jobs on the front. That is my only complaint with the truck. The brakes are woefully undersized and I have trouble with warped rotors. I tow a boat in the summer and I believe that exacerbates the issue. I have gotten proficient at changing the pads and rotors so not that big of a deal. I have ran Mobil 1 synthetic since the second oil change and swear by the stuff. The engine on this truck has been amazing.....quiet, powerful and refined. Everything is still tight and rattle free! Love it!

Favorite Features

4wd , paint job has held up great.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes!!!!