2000 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Brakes, Brakes, Brakes.......
By mgj on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Overall the Tundra is an excellent vehicle with one major exception. Toyota grossly undersized the brakes on there first full-sized pickup. Even worse they have been unwilling to stand by their product. I have 70000 on my Tundra and have already been in for my 3rd front break job with the fourth shortly following. They have finally come up with a fix, TSB BR br00402, which redesigns the whole system. They won't however offer any assistence to consumers for this suppossed fix. ($1200 + fix!!! for a design flaw)

MY 2000 TUNDRA
By BRIAN R. on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

AFTER DRIVING OTHER MAKES OF TRUCKS I BOUGHT THE TUNDRA AND LOVE IT. THE RIDE AND POWER OF THE TUNDRA IS GREAT.I LIKE THE CONTROLS THEY ARE GROUPED WELL AND THE SEATS ARE COMFORTABLE.THE TRD SUSPENSION THE TRUCK CAME WITH MAKE THE TRUCK VERY STURDY.THE 4WD WITH THE PUSH BUTTON IS A GREAT FEATURE.THE 4WD ENGAGUES VERY WITHOUT A SKIP. SO I SUGGEST THE TUNDRA TO ALL INTERESTED BUYERS.

The Winner
By ggrindle on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

78000 miles now. Bought in 01/2000. 3 years later I have not had a single problem of any kind. Had a 1995 r22 before this which I put 132,000 miles on before selling and never had a single item of maintenance on it either.

pulsating brakes
By BrentL on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had brake problems from day one. Warped drums and rotors are chronic in the Tundra and covered in a service bulletin. Problem is, nothing they do solves the problem. I have had my brakes turned or replaced five times in the last twelve months. I expect the same schedule next year: a day at the dealer every two months.

Met expectations
By Mr. S on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab SB

I was very concerned with the reported steering vibrations when I was buying my truck. I just got 'something' installed that Toyota developed to eliminate the problem. I have no complains so far, my dealer was able to fix all issues for me, e.g. arm rest storage space lid flying open when upright, initial tire wear (got new Michelins) etc.

Ignore the chauvanists
By brucec32 on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I've owned them all, chevy, ford, dodge, and Toyota. By far my best pickup for light-medium duty use. I don't haul passengers, so try elsewhere if you want lots of rear seat room, but otherwise this truck tops the others in virtually every category. And it's more reliable. Beware of pro-domestic truck fans who come on message boards slamming Tundras. I also own a 2002 silverado, so I think I'm pretty objective. The tundra is easier to drive and feels more in control. The Silverado has already had 2 major issues, too.

Tansmission Problems!
By rflinster on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab SB

I've had numerous minor problems until summer of 2000 whereby the O2 sensor went & required the entire manifold to be replaced. Then the transmission started making a "klunking" noise around 60,000 miles. Dealer unable to diagnose the problem. Last week it broke down -- whole transmission needs to be replaced -- even worse, I don't even tow anything or haul heavy items in the bed. This is all normal driving usage.

More than you expect in a Truck
By mjhenny on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 2000 2WD SR5 Access Cab model. Excellent Build Quality, well thought out design. Plenty of Power. Is a little bit smaller than a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, but you can still get a 4X8 Sheet of plywood in the back. My wife likes it because it's easier for her to get into. The back seat is quite cramped, and getting a baby seat in there is tough but do-able. I'd buy this truck again tomorrow if I had to choose.

We Love Our Truck!
By ra_fiki on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V6 4dr Extended Cab SB

Prior to buying the Tundra we owned a fully loaded 1996 4WD V6 Tacoma, which was a very impressive vehicle in it's own right. The Tundra surpasses all expectations -- comfortable ride, reliable, and great-looking. Ours was one of the first sold in GA and it turned heads, still does!

96000 miles and no problems
By Jim Schmoll on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I now have 96ooo miles and am just as happy as my last Toyota. It had 370000 miles on it. The only thing that I don't like is the metel thickness of the body. Great truck good price. jim