2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
great all around vehicle
By marc northrup on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I find my 2000 Tundra Limited just an all around quality vehicle. I have owned Ford and Chevy trucks and I am pleased to state the Tundra is by far a better vehicle in all ways. The quality and fit and finish are excellent. The ride is much like a full sized acr, not the hard choppy ride of most 4 wheel drive pick-ups. The one area I hope Toyota has addressed and improved upon are the brakes. They seem to be poor and inadequate for this big vehicle.

Problems
By bpierce on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I like the truck for it's looks and comfort but Have I had problems. Brakes are horrible designed. Have had three brake jobs. Throttle body went out, that cost $1200. It is in the shop right now because the check engine light came on. Turns out that there is a crack in the exhaust manifold due to poor metalology. Toyota is covering repair but in turn my o2 sensor went bad and there is carbon build up on my valves and "new" throttle body that they want charge to fix. Said Toyota does not cover incidental problems. Please, now I have to hash it out with Toyota.

What you would expect!
By TrentpNC on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Tundra used with 19K on it. I had my heart set on a Dodge Ram 1500. My wife (who sold advertisement to dealerships at the time) talked me into just test driving the Tundra. Wow was I surprised! Handled like a sports car! I now have 51K on it and the only thing I've done is replace a O2 sensor, cost $70 for a sensor and $10 for a special socket at Auto Zone. If you are like me and don't own a lot of heavy farm equipment this is the best truck for light duty. Even my friends who own the other big 3 think it's great, mostly because they've had trouble with there trucks.... :-)

2000 Tundra
By Dr. D.L.Bercier on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I use it as a farm call truck and it holds up very well, very comfortable ride, and great pulling power. Have pulled trailers, boats, uphill and interstate, very powerful.

Brakes, Brakes, Brakes.......
By mgj on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Overall the Tundra is an excellent vehicle with one major exception. Toyota grossly undersized the brakes on there first full-sized pickup. Even worse they have been unwilling to stand by their product. I have 70000 on my Tundra and have already been in for my 3rd front break job with the fourth shortly following. They have finally come up with a fix, TSB BR br00402, which redesigns the whole system. They won't however offer any assistence to consumers for this suppossed fix. ($1200 + fix!!! for a design flaw)

MY 2000 TUNDRA
By BRIAN R. on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

AFTER DRIVING OTHER MAKES OF TRUCKS I BOUGHT THE TUNDRA AND LOVE IT. THE RIDE AND POWER OF THE TUNDRA IS GREAT.I LIKE THE CONTROLS THEY ARE GROUPED WELL AND THE SEATS ARE COMFORTABLE.THE TRD SUSPENSION THE TRUCK CAME WITH MAKE THE TRUCK VERY STURDY.THE 4WD WITH THE PUSH BUTTON IS A GREAT FEATURE.THE 4WD ENGAGUES VERY WITHOUT A SKIP. SO I SUGGEST THE TUNDRA TO ALL INTERESTED BUYERS.

The Winner
By ggrindle on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

78000 miles now. Bought in 01/2000. 3 years later I have not had a single problem of any kind. Had a 1995 r22 before this which I put 132,000 miles on before selling and never had a single item of maintenance on it either.

pulsating brakes
By BrentL on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had brake problems from day one. Warped drums and rotors are chronic in the Tundra and covered in a service bulletin. Problem is, nothing they do solves the problem. I have had my brakes turned or replaced five times in the last twelve months. I expect the same schedule next year: a day at the dealer every two months.

Met expectations
By Mr. S on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Limited 4dr Extended Cab SB

I was very concerned with the reported steering vibrations when I was buying my truck. I just got 'something' installed that Toyota developed to eliminate the problem. I have no complains so far, my dealer was able to fix all issues for me, e.g. arm rest storage space lid flying open when upright, initial tire wear (got new Michelins) etc.

Ignore the chauvanists
By brucec32 on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I've owned them all, chevy, ford, dodge, and Toyota. By far my best pickup for light-medium duty use. I don't haul passengers, so try elsewhere if you want lots of rear seat room, but otherwise this truck tops the others in virtually every category. And it's more reliable. Beware of pro-domestic truck fans who come on message boards slamming Tundras. I also own a 2002 silverado, so I think I'm pretty objective. The tundra is easier to drive and feels more in control. The Silverado has already had 2 major issues, too.